• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Of My Henry Maxwell Shoes

pejsek

Reaction score
These shoes made their way to me (via the thrift store, of course) about ten years ago and they are still among my very favorites. At the time I knew little about bespoke shoes; as time goes by I just appreciate them more and more. Not sure if Maxwell really gets their due, but I would put them up against just about anything. Maxwell made a lot of shoes, yet for some reason they are slipping into obscurity. So, if only in the interest of historical preservation (if nothing else), please take a look. Oh, and they fit me beautifully.

Brown Full Brogue. Notice the saturated colors (so different from what we tend to see today). The following three shoes all came from the same customer and bear the Dover Street stamp:

img0782ig7.jpg

img0791hk7.jpg

img0785uu3.jpg

img0784rd2.jpg

Brown Cap-Toe. Perhaps my favorite shoe--though it wisely holds some of its charm at arms length from the camera:

img0790tg9.jpg

img0781ir8.jpg

img0821vx8.jpg

Full Black Brogue. Same as the brown, but in a glorious black. I just love the lines on this shoe; the graceful curve of the heel, the high cut on the instep side:

img0787sx8.jpg

img0788kg2.jpg

img0789bo5.jpg

Two-Tone Grecian Slippers. Well, they just do not make them like this anymore. How many men commision a bespoke slipper, anyway? The slanted heel on this one is beautiful. From the heady New Bond Street days:

img0792qg8.jpg

img0816sd0.jpg

img0815ri7.jpg

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I'm so glad that you and Vintage Gent now have working digital cameras.

I posted a request some months ago for pictures of patinated shoes as we see so many new ones. This is exactly what I had in mind.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice. After seeing the Mantelassi you nabbed and these, you are hereby proclaimed the World Champion of Shoe Thrifting.
cheers.gif

pejsek

Reaction score
Thank you all for the comments. As I look through these pictures again I'm really struck by the quality of the punching on the brogues. Maxwell may not have been terribly interested in giving the foot a sleek or elongated appearance, but they certainly knew how to punch an elegant design.
btw, EL72, I must add that last friday I stopped by the same thrift that has yielded all of my Mantellassis so far and was rewarded by yet another pair--a brand new Norwegian-welted black penny loafer. Very weird. It's actually starting to freak me out a bit (not that I'll stop going or anything).

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by EL72
Nice. After seeing the Mantelassi you nabbed and these, you are hereby proclaimed the World Champion of Shoe Thrifting.
cheers.gif

If I was in the running, I definitely concede. Thanks for this post.

EL72

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
btw, EL72, I must add that last friday I stopped by the same thrift that has yielded all of my Mantellassis so far and was rewarded by yet another pair--a brand new Norwegian-welted black penny loafer. Very weird. It's actually starting to freak me out a bit (not that I'll stop going or anything).

wow.gif
wow.gif
How is that possible? They must come from the same (possible deceased owner. I can't believe there are so many Mantellassis hanging around thrift shops that you happen to find some in your size all the time.

pejsek

Reaction score
Another brogue, another beautifully executed medallion. This one also marked Maxwell, Dover Street, London, W. Inc. Faulkner & Son:

img0827ig3.jpg

img0830nl6.jpg

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
Pejsek, my wife really likes your couch.

Well, please tell your wife thank you, Alan. It's a long couch (about 10') which originally belonged to my grandparents. We had it reupholstered about a year ago in this Clarence House damask (which I unfortunately did not thrift). I think it turned out exceptionally well, in large part because the full pattern is just about the size of each cushion. immsmc, it's a blend of linen, cotton, nylon, and silk which gives it a great sheen and also makes it tough enough that the kids don't have to be too careful.
It didn't occur to me until now that these are all subliminal medallions.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pejsek
It didn't occur to me until now that these are all subliminal medallions.

She commented immediately that the shoe medallion and broguing went with the couch design.

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those shoe laces ought to go.

pejsek

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TimelessRider
Those brown full-brogues are fantastic.

Thanks. Though they probably made more black shoes than anything else, Maxwell seems to have really excelled at the various shades of chocolate brown. Nowdays the palette has taken a decided turn in the direction of tan.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads