1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Some non-traditional footwear choices with jeans, comments?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by drizzt3117, Sep 27, 2006.

1. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

So getting away from trainers or the usual black/brown plain chelsea boot or chukka aesthetic or even other less typical choices like Sperry's and brogued chelseas, I was thinking about what people thought about some other types of footwear. I'm mostly posting this because I'd like to get a bit more mileage out of shoes that I'd normally wear only for business. As I have about 15-20 pairs of EG/Lobb/C&J/Grenson/CT/etc... that I don't wear that much, it seems like they might work with some streetwear outfits.

So for a fairly conservative choice, I think these would work fairly well, but aren't particularly interesting.
    [​IMG]

Would something like the C&Js or Grensons be considered trying too hard with a mostly casual outfit? (polo/jeans or the like, no dress shirt)

[​IMG]

How about monkstraps?

[​IMG]

Or ankle boots?

[​IMG]

Lastly, is this look trying too hard? I have a pair of Gucci loafers that I almost never wear, and I have a hard time finding a situation in which I would wear them that wasn't casual.

[​IMG]

2. dryice

dryice Senior member

i love those JL monk straps, put them to use damnit. the gucci's not so much. actually, not at all. oh by the way, i hate you... i really want a pair of JL monks [​IMG]

3. Not Carl

Not Carl Senior member

Those John Lobb ankle boots are beautiful.

Personally i think ankle boots look fantastic with jeans. And as long as the jeans fall on them right the Grensons and C&Js can be worn casually in my opinion.

4. gamelan

gamelan Senior member

yeah wow, those JL ankle boots would look great with a pair of jeans.

-Jeff

5. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

my monk strap ankle boots... or are they chukkas?... look great with jeans, as do my vintage plain toe oxford cordovans.

anything can look good with jeans if you feel it... if you doubt, then it will look horrible

6. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

i am wearing black alden ankle boots with jeans as i type this. the commando sole makes it feel a bit more street. (ddml stock photo below) [​IMG] those JL ankle boots are beauties.

7. familyman

familyman Senior member

Could you post a few pictures of those shoes on your feet with jeans on? I don't think any but the top shoes will really work. They're an elegant shoe and denim just isn't. Too much of a contrast. Not picking on denim either as I don't think they would work for the most part with heavy cords or moleskins either. With the right jeans, very dressy jeans that have just the perfect sized opening they would work but the outfit would have to be fairly dressy which defeats the whole purpose of the exercise. If you beat the hell out of the shoes for 20 years they would work much better. [​IMG]

8. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Senior member

The ankle boots will absolutely work; the rest (aside from the top pair) seem like it would be a case-by-case thing. I think it would depend heavily on the jeans and the rest of the outfit, but in theory I could see all of them working.

9. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

NOT a fan of those GUCCI loafers. feels so un-denimish to me. ick. [​IMG]

10. familyman

familyman Senior member

I honestly don't think that the ankle boot is any more appropriate than the other shoes. Just because you make an elegant shoe taller doens't take away from it's beautiful lines. You could more easily wear that boot with a suit than with jeans.

11. minya

minya Senior member

everything you listed but the first (god those are ugly!) and the last (loafers ugh!) would work well with jeans.

12. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'll try to see if I can get some pics, for most of the nicer shoes I'm pretty sure I'd go with a more dressy jean like RB6.bs, PDC GTO 1 years, or 5EP straights in resin, rather than something more worn in, but I would consider wearing them with my 5EP worns as well.

13. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I think all those shoes can be worn with jeans, altho I'm not fond of the gucci loafers. The boots are phenomenal, I'd be wearing those with jeans every other day. The top shoes are very jean-y but imo kinda ugly. The rest are dependent on what else you're wearing, but do-able.

14. jet

jet Senior member

I'll show you how to pull off fuccis, but those are the wrong type and ugly I might add.

15. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'll show you how to pull off fuccis, but those are the wrong type and ugly I might add.

Yeah, I think those particular Gucci with jeans throw off too much of a HK/Taiwan vibe. I have some 70s vintage Guccis in alligator that are awesome with jeans but wondered what to make of the ones I posted. The actual ones I have don't have the seam stitching and a bit more chiseled toe, they're actually a bit cooler.

16. jet

jet Senior member

Yup, the alligators sound dope and once again it depends on the jeans. Mine are casual, two are a tapered just right squared toe and one is round. I'll have pics in the waywt thread one of these days. You can't go wrong man they're classic but most of their stuff started getting ugly last year.

17. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I'd NEVER wear the Gucci myself. However, bals, boots, and especially wholecuts are all things I'd do. Hell, even the good old AE Fairfax in that pale goldish brown tan can look nice (IMHO - I have a thing for wholecuts as I am sure it is evident by now).

18. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

I'd NEVER wear the Gucci myself. However, bals, boots, and especially wholecuts are all things I'd do. Hell, even the good old AE Fairfax in that pale goldish brown tan can look nice (IMHO - I have a thing for wholecuts as I am sure it is evident by now).

Heh, I actually tried on the Guccis a bit ago and they actually look really good IMO if a bit flashy, but could definitely work with the right outfit. I have a couple other ideas I'll post up later.

19. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

Heh, I actually tried on the Guccis a bit ago and they actually look really good IMO if a bit flashy, but could definitely work with the right outfit. I have a couple other ideas I'll post up later.

See, it combines a few of my figurative kryptonites"
    Loafers, made by Gucci, with gold trim. All three are things that alone would make me run, lol.

20. jet

jet Senior member

Just for you my friend, I will make an extra effort to post them, though they don't have any bits [​IMG] but they are the sickest shoes I own. Love the guccis.

[​IMG]