• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some newbie questions about shirts

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) Should I wear a dress shirt with an undershirt? doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the nice fabric rub against your skin? 2) Is this button suppose to stay or do I cut it off? doesn't seem to serve any purpose if I use only the other one.
001kzm.jpg
3) More thread count = better? Is this always true? why or why not? how does durability come into play there? 4) How many times can you wear a dress shirt (and typically how many hours) before you need (or should) replace it? 5) Any reason why I should pay 100-200+ for shirts from engineered garments or Band of Outsiders and others brands etc? http://www.contextclothing.com/brand...eered+Garments http://www.contextclothing.com/brand...d+of+Outsiders 6) Any good places or brands to shop for a good quality casual shirt, having good value would be a plus? Not places like the GAP or H&M. 7) What color pants go well with a white dress shirt? 8) What color pants go well with a white blue shirt? 9) When selecting materials for a dress shirt, is two ply the highest quality? or what is better? Here is a screenshot from moderntailor.
111111jc.png
I'll add more questions when they come up. Many thanks

jcriswel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
1) Should I wear a dress shirt with an undershirt? doesn't that defeat the purpose of having the nice fabric rub against your skin?

You flipped the question - it should be should I wear an undershirt with a dress shirt? Watch how you pharse your sentences. If you think about what you wrote, it's goofy.

2) Is this button suppose to stay or do I cut it off? doesn't seem to serve any purpose if I use only the other one.
001kzm.jpg

It's an extra button on a non-custom shirt for guys with smaller wrists or in some cases the wider button stance accommodates a watch - use your imagination. If you don't like it, cut it off.

3) More thread count = better? Is this always true? why or why not? how does durability come into play there?

Do some research on shirts. There's lots of reading material here and on the net.

4) How many times can you wear a dress shirt (and typically how many hours) before you need (or should) replace it?

Depends on whether you launder or wash yourself. Laundry guidelines say about thirty-five times through the laundry.

5) Any reason why I should pay 100-200+ for shirts from engineered garments or Band of Outsiders and others brands etc?

http://www.contextclothing.com/brand...eered+Garments
http://www.contextclothing.com/brand...d+of+Outsiders

This is your choice... it all comes down to fabric and fit.

6) Any good places or brands to shop for a good quality casual shirt, having good value would be a plus? Not places like the GAP or H&M.

Lots of casual shirts out there. Some are good quality. Check out Sierra Trading Post.

7) What color pants go well with a white dress shirt?

Any!

8) What color pants go well with a white blue shirt?

Any!

9) When selecting materials for a dress shirt, is two ply the highest quality? or what is better? Here is a screenshot from moderntailor.

111111jc.png

Two ply is sturdier construction and will likely last longer. Again, there's a bunch of research material on shirtings for your reading. Don't expect us to regurgitate it.

haiguise

Reaction score
Higher thread count can mean a thinner fabric. It's not always better if that's not what you want.

Two ply is sturdier but can be thicker depending on the thread count

I wouldn't spend 100-200 on a non MTM shirt, but some people do.

You shouldn't wear an undershirt with a dress shirt, unless it's really cold and you have to. If you wear one, it's preferable not to see the undershirt if you don't have a tie on. The way around this is a grey heather v neck, which apparently minimizes visibility of it. I don't own one. If it's really hot I sometimes wear undershirts so that it absorbs my sweat and my shirt doesn't look wet.

If you're already looking at ModernTailor, go for it. All of my shirts (except for two or three) are from MT. Once you get the right measurements it's good. The price is unbeatable for the quality.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how come dress shirts don't last as long as a t shirt? they cost so much more money.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

these are important questions bump

ktrp

Reaction score
how come dress shirts don't last as long as a t shirt? they cost so much more money.

It depends what you mean by 'last'.

Buy two t-shirts that look great.

Put one through the laundry 35 times.

See if they look the same.

I suspect you are just used to wearing stretched out of shape frayed t-shirts.

ktrp

Reaction score

these are important questions bump

It was answered. All.

Regarding white, seriously, anything can look good with white, however certain combinations might not be ideal unless you are a waiter or are selling kitchen cleaning products.

Certain shades of blue will not go well with certain shades of pant, but off the top of my head, I would say that almost every colour of pant looks good with some blue shirts.

I expect your challenge is that you have spent too much time listening to women who told you that men couldn't match colours. You have eyes. Use them. You can get broad ideas here, but ultimately, you put a single shirt with a single pair of pants, and see how it looks.

If you want to know what is fashionable this month with no regard to whether it looks good, construction quality, or history, then definitely ask women.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by haiguise
You shouldn't wear an undershirt with a dress shirt, unless it's really cold and you have to. If you wear one, it's preferable not to see the undershirt if you don't have a tie on. The way around this is a grey heather v neck, which apparently minimizes visibility of it. I don't own one. If it's really hot I sometimes wear undershirts so that it absorbs my sweat and my shirt doesn't look wet.

Which is great if you are woman, or a man with no chest hair.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is this a serious question?

Ianiceman

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The great undershirt debate took place on here a few months ago. I would say there was a fairly even split between the always and the nevers, with a few who wear them only in winter for warmth and a few who wear them only in summer for sweat.

New question. The stitching that goes along the edge of a shirt collar. Most shirts have that line follownthe edge about 4mm in from the edge, but I like the look when it's right on the edge. Is there a name for this, and can you ask/tell MT to do it this way?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads