• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Linen/Cotton Shirting

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Earlier today I mentioned in a thread of Ed Morels that I was enjoying some all year lined/cotton blends made by Riva. Here are some pictures of those fabrics that I though you guys might find interesting. They are the most versatile linen blends that I have come across. The two simple stripes are a rather thick twill, while the two fancy stripes are a modified oxford type weave or perhaps just a heavy broadclothl. Hope you like them.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That's really nice. My own shirtmaker has a very small list of linen/cotton fabrics, one of which I have hanging in the closet. It's a great thing, and I'm going to be looking for more.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Earlier today I mentioned in a thread of Ed Morels that I was enjoying some all year lined/cotton blends made by Riva. Here are some pictures of those fabrics that I though you guys might find interesting. They are the most versatile linen blends that I have come across.

The two simple stripes are a rather thick twill, while the two fancy stripes are a modified oxford type weave or perhaps just a heavy broadclothl.

Hope you like them.

Matt, these are just sick
worship.gif
I take it that they are not OTR?

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these available online somewhere? Any quality shirtings available online? One can find good woolens on ebay but it is a lot harder to find good fabric for shirts.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Matt, these are just sick
worship.gif
I take it that they are not OTR?

Nope. You might stumble across some similar fabrics from Kiton but I shudder at what the prices might be ($850 +/-). I am pretty sure that you wouldn't find these exact ones as their Rivas tend to be a bit plainer. Prices for these were, as you might guess, substantially lower. I don't know if Borrelli uses their fabrics at all. Edit: Fray also uses a lot of Riva fabrics as does Stefano Ricci. Unfortunately, they are usually soooo tacky that they disguise the quality. Fray is not terrible on its own, rather Neimans buys it awfully. Stefano Ricci is, well, wretched when it comes to shirts. Fray's pricepoint is better than Kiton's IIRC.

horton

Reaction score
These look great. I've always considered linen purely for warm weather. What's the attraction to the blends as an all year frabric; that is, why not 100% cotton?

Fabulous taste as always!

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by horton
These look great. I've always considered linen purely for warm weather. What's the attraction to the blends as an all year frabric; that is, why not 100% cotton?

Fabulous taste as always!

I like the feel and look of linen blends more. I am not sure exactly why. Also, the texture shows the patterns nicely.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I like the feel and look of linen blends more. I am not sure exactly why. Also, the texture shows the patterns nicely.

The texture is really what these shirts are all about, I think. They bring the pattern and fabric to life better than strictly cotton. I would never have though of owning linen dress shirts until my recent experience with Kiton and Barba.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics