Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Some Fitness Myths

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mensimageconsultant, Jun 22, 2006.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

These are the probably less-questioned of the nine myths listed in "Fitness Myths are Bad for Your Health," an article in the Autumn issue of Men's Style (Australia).

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Good post.

3. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

A little learning is a dang'rous thing.

I guess the 2002 paper Armarego refers to is "recent", but it does not allow her to reach the conclusions that are attributed to her. The study she quotes looked at extremity weghts in the context of bench/step training only. Many other studies have demonstrated the efficacy of extremity weights - but you will still look like a wiener.

4. Jake431

Jake431 Well-Known Member

Can you show me, or more clearly describe this exercise? I'm having trouble visualizing it. And by four sets, they mean four times? I do crunches and I'd like to add more exercises to strengthen my lower back so I don't unbalance myself.

-Jake

5. mensimageconsultant

6. mensimageconsultant

I guess the 2002 paper Armarego refers to is "recent", but it does not allow her to reach the conclusions that are attributed to her. The study she quotes looked at extremity weghts in the context of bench/step training only. Many other studies have demonstrated the efficacy of extremity weights - but you will still look like a wiener.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you know where to find the studies? If you like, send a PM.

7. Aus_MD

Aus_MD Senior member

Thanks for pointing that out.

Do you know where to find the studies? If you like, send a PM.

The citation and abstract are below.

8. mensimageconsultant

Thanks.

9. thinman

thinman Senior member

Thanks for a good post. I've been looking for a way to exercise my transverse abdominus (really!) and didn't realize the plank would do it.

Aus_MD, thanks for confirming my suspicions when I read the "myth" about extremity weights. Do you know of any studies about using extremity weights to improve sports performance (e.g. to improve my vertical jump for basketball)?

10. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Thanks for a good post. I've been looking for a way to exercise my transverse abdominus (really!) and didn't realize the plank would do it.

Aus_MD, thanks for confirming my suspicions when I read the "myth" about extremity weights. Do you know of any studies about using extremity weights to improve sports performance (e.g. to improve my vertical jump for basketball)?

I think heavy squats and power cleans can do wonder for your vertical leap. The power cleans are especialy useful because they stimulate your CNS and train your body to work as a whole when doing an explosive power movement.

Also, I have friends that have found that doing weighted squat jumps (with dumbells) has helped their vertical leap, but for me personally, I feel that this does tremendous damage to my knees so I avoid it.

11. thinman

thinman Senior member

I think heavy squats and power cleans can do wonder for your vertical leap. The power cleans are especialy useful because they stimulate your CNS and train your body to work as a whole when doing an explosive power movement.

Also, I have friends that have found that doing weighted squat jumps (with dumbells) has helped their vertical leap, but for me personally, I feel that this does tremendous damage to my knees so I avoid it.

Thanks odoreater. I'm doing squats now, but avoid jump squats because I, too, am concerned for my knees. Any other ideas?

12. PreppyBoy

PreppyBoy Well-Known Member

I never heard of these "Myths" before. [​IMG]

Not that I would believe a word of it, even if I did.

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Here's an illustration.

Yes, four times.

I tried this exercise, and you can really feel your abs.

Jon.

14. A Y

A Y Senior member

Getting a high leap also involves coordination of your muscles and getting your body in proper alignment: you can have really strong legs, but if you don't know how to use them properly, then you won't really be using your muscles to their fullest potential. Other than taking a performance dance class (ballet, jazz, some forms of modern), I'm not sure who else teaches these skills. Erik Franklin's Conditioning for Dance lays out the basic mechanics of it, too.

--Andre

15. Impulse155

Impulse155 Senior member

1. Myth: Doing sit-ups will protect you from hurting your back.
    Fact: Wrong. Your abdominal muscles are divided into four groups: Rectus abdominus, or your six pack; external obliques, located on the side of your stomach, below your ribs; internal obliques, under your external obliques; and Transverse abdominus, which are wrapped around your stomach like a girdle.

Of these four the six pack is the least supportive of your back; its job is to bring your ribs closer to your hips.... In contrast your obliques and Transverse abdominus are the ones that contract and support your lower back when it is put under pressure.

One of the best ways to work these muscles and protect your back is by doing the plank exercise, where you lie on your stomach and bring your taught body onto your elbows and feet. Hold for 30 seconds. Four sets.

Planks > situps then for getting a 6 pack?