• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some comparisons of suits over time

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I posed this at the London Lounge, but thought that it might be of some interest here as well:

We have had a lot of great threads recently about some styles that are no longer with us (thanks to Sator) and one fascinating thread in the ananymous section about whether some of the great houses (esp A&S) have changed much over time, and whether this change has been for the better or worse.

The last time that I was in Italy, I had the chance to try on some vintage pieces that Rubinacci made in the 30s and my wife was kind enough to snap some pictures. In response to a question from a friend I put on one page a collection of three photos. One is a dinner jacket from '33, one is a sportcoat from this year and the last one is a suit from this year. The dinner jacket was not made for me, and does not fit perfectly, but it is very instructive. What is surprising is how little the style of coat made by Rubinacci has changed over the last 75 years. Perhaps the fronts were slightly more rounded back then, but the amount of drape, shape of the shoulders and amount and shape of waist suppression is eerily similar to what it was back then. I imagine that the dinner jacket is overly closed on me due to the difference between me and the original wearer, and that the too short length comes from th esame thing. The coats made today are still probably the shortest you will find anywhere, but they are not like the DJ.

Enjoy:

rcomp6de.jpg

zjpj83

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wonderful! I agree that the sportjacket is sublime.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am curious to know if the Rubinacci had the same style during 60's and 70's. It seems to me all makers were succumbed to the prevailing trend during those periods.

Btw, both the jacket and the suit are piece of art, but it's more apparent with the jacket from the picture.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
I am curious to know if the Rubinacci had the same style during 60's and 70's. It seems to me all makers were succumbed to the prevailing trend during those periods.

Btw, both the jacket and the suit are piece of art, but it's more apparent with the jacket from the picture.

I am curious about the same thing. I will ask if they have any pictures lying around the nixt time I am there. You are right, the jacket and suit are equal but the jackiet is more compelling because of the fabric and more casual detailing.

Kasper

Reaction score
Do you think that the jacket in the middle will ever go out of style?

rnoldh

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the pics and the thread. Extremely interesting.

I am curious about the condition of the 75 year old DJ. Is it still pristine?

BTW: I am in complete accord about the current Rubinacci's. They are sublime. I guess there's some truth to the old maxim, "You get what you pay for!".
smile.gif

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rnoldh
Thanks for the pics and the thread. Extremely interesting.

I am curious about the condition of the 75 year old DJ. Is it still pristine?

BTW: I am in complete accord about the current Rubinacci's. They are sublime. I guess there's some truth to the old maxim, "You get what you pay for!".
smile.gif

It is in pretty good condition, but there are some teirs in the lining. The fabric is a sort of melto wool that is very heavy.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart

+1. You should see them in real life. It's even more stunning in 3D.

--Andre

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Interesting comparison (the shoulders are almost identical). Not a fan of the curved lapels on the dinner jacket.

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Matt, your sportcoat sleeves are significantly shorter that your suitcoat sleeves. Was this intentional?

Toiletduck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems the dinner jacket has larger sleeves compared to the other two...Is this a product of the past wearer having fatter arms? hmm...doesn't seem like it...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads