• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some Common Decency, Anyone?

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
Having joined this site a few months ago and enjoyed the discussion and more than a few purchases, (all of which went great) I feel compelled to comment on what I regard as a rather pervasive level of rudeness in many of the responses to questions. Ballbusting in life every now and then is fine, (I count myself as a ballbuster) but when someone asks a question nicely (and the questions usually are nice), they don't deserve being dumped on, especially by third parties who are not part of the original exchange. Example: Q: "How does it fit?" A (from third party): "He posted the measurements!" None of your business. Here's a response I got: "Why don't you grown some and make your own decision?" Neither nice, nor even helpful. And if you want to read some real good ones, look at the exchange between me and this SoCal guy who thinks he is...well, I'm sure it has something to do with a personality disorder for which I honestly hope he is getting treatment.

As I mentioned in a previous reply, the cyberspace format is no excuse for saying things you wouldn't dare say to someone's face. This site should be about exchanging opinions, providing information and buying and selling clothes. And all of this should be done as gentleman should conduct themselves. A little sarcasm here and there is fine, I suppose, but this other **** has got to go.

Does anyone have a contrary view?l

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hehlol
It's rich watching a bunch of people who try so hard to be 'classy adults' on the Internet act exactly the way children would when criticized. A new poster said something about the community being tasteless and now the community's actions have basically proven him correct. It's amazing how you guys do it and still believe yourselves so refined. Styleforum is a great place to come to learn about brands and quality and options, but it isn't a place to come about actual style. Use the forum for what you can, for some people it's posting in threads about all the new stuff they bought on credit, for others, it's reading about what others bought, learning about these items and investigating based on their own taste.
Originally Posted by 19hundred
StyleForum, moreso than any other forum I frequent, is riddled with thread-***** and snark. Oh yeah, and telling people their question shouldn't be a new thread. Agree that it's addictive to make fun of people on the internet, but wow, that's all that's happening here lately. It seems the only utility this forum has anymore is for searching past posts. Even then you have to wade through nonsense to find the few honest answer to genuine questions. But it's the only option, because to go and post a new question and expect fresh and relevant dialogue, well, LOL, good luck. I will also say that there's a super clicky feel to this forum. There's a handful of members with >#k posts that scour every new post and use it as an opportunity to show how witty they are, they then jack off all over each other with inside jokes, and leave with a hint of feigning some supreme knowledge of style that you aren't cool enough to be bequeathed with.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ That second guy misspelt cliquey in his post. That's all I really noticed.

Miles Gloriosus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
As I mentioned in a previous reply, the cyberspace format is no excuse for saying things you wouldn't dare say to someone's face.

What makes you think I wouldn't call you a jackass to your face?

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Lee
A little sarcasm here and there is fine, I suppose, but this other **** has got to go.
BTW, where is Vox these days ? If he's gone, I feel we should hold a wake for him. If we can have one for Butter, surely Vox should have one ...

Makoto Chan

Reaction score
I've enjoyed the simultaneous processes of learning a lot from Styleforum, and getting to know Styleforum, over a few months. I don't think it's such a bad place. Maybe your expectations are a little too high: just because it's a site about being a gentleman, doesn't mean it's free from the usual problems on an internet message board.

It's unreasonable for a newcomer to do no research, to not use the Search button, or to ask an impossible or vague question and expect lots of good help. It's also unreasonable to be impatient or thin-skinned when he gets mocked. The good point is that even after a few dismissive (or derisive) posts, you pretty much always get a good answer or a helpful discussion here.

Metlin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aj_del
BTW, where is Vox these days ? If he's gone, I feel we should hold a wake for him. If we can have one for Butter, surely Vox should have one ...
Where in the world is Señor F. Corbera, err, Voxsartoria?

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^Well, maybe.
But I am one of the oldest here, and I'll kop to being an indecent prick most of the time...

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Well, maybe.
But I am one of the oldest here, and I'll kop to being an indecent prick everytime...

ffy

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Oh STFU already. I've asked a bunch of newbish questions on the MC forum and have not been ridiculed about them. If you do your research first and post in an intelligent manner, usually people are civil. Clearly you are doing something wrong if you are consistently getting rude replies.

Archivist

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dakota rube
^Well, maybe.
But I am one of the oldest here, and I'll kop to being an indecent prick most of the time...

Yeah, but you're amusing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads