Some brands and suit shapes?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alebrady, Jun 26, 2006.

1. alebrady

alebrady Senior member

i remember a very extensive post i came across by manton that sort of described 'classic' suit shapes (i.e. english, american, neopolitan, and roman) but i dont recall these brands being categorized in the different 'geographic' styles that was covered in that post.

how would you guys describe the sillhoutte of:

-zegna (specifically, the have a narrower cut called something like roma or cardigan)
    -corneliani
    -burberry

are they all kind of american 'blah'?

tia

2. Jovan

Jovan Banned for Good

Zegna and Corneliani have an Italian cut. I saw in another thread that Burberrys are made by Hickey Freeman and thus have a more American style.

3. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

The Ermenegildo Zegna (3-button dual vent flat front) suit I got this Spring from Filenes was in an incredible boring, boxy cut. I swear it had about the same amount of waist suppression as my J-Press suit from 2005. The fabric is superb and the shoulders fit me pretty well. I had the jacket taken in (a lot!), it fits great, and I'm very happy. I don't know if it's a "Roma" model or not. That field on the pocket tag is blank.

The cornelianis for Polo are much more fitted. I seem to remember a Corneliani in Filenes being similar, but there are many models of Corneliani. The one I tried on had heavily padded shoulders. The burberrys made in USA are cut like Hickey-Freeman suits, which aren't sacks, but aren't exactly sleek either.

So to answer your question, I think these three makers produce boxy models for the US market.

4. alebrady

alebrady Senior member

i am curious (and obviously a novice) but when people on here describe a suit shape as being 'boxy' is that primarily a reference to the shoulders (i.e. the shoulders being fairly structured and less of a natural slope down the shoulders or even concave) or is it a reference to the overall jacket not being form fitting (i.e. very little supression in the waist)?

thanks - just trying to educate myself a bit

5. damonallan

damonallan Well-Known Member

Friend:

I'm pretty sure we're referring to the shape of the jacket fitting around the body. Boxy being a straight up and down look on the sides with little if at all waist suppression.

6. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Senior member

It has been often discussed on the Forums that Borrelli and Kiton supply Europe with a Napoli cut that is not sold in the USA. Brioni has its classic "Roma" style. There are, of course, many more examples also.