• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Some advice?

MaxTO

Reaction score
Hey, Looking for some advice... I'm looking to expand/modify my present wardrobe. Currently, I own 2 pairs of jeans (Tommy Bahama, relaxed and classic cut) and 1 pair of black Tommy Hilfiger flat front pants. 1 light blue Hugo Boss dress shirt (for special occasions) and 1 Jones New York dress shirt (olive/green colour?). Maybe 2 casual button down shirts from Gap/BR. A few Ts and some long sleeve Ts (90% of them are either black/dark blue/dark gray). 1 pair dressy black shoes, 2 pairs casual black shoes. 1 nice belt, 1 casual belt (both plain black). Â A few casual sweaters (some are cashmere). Â Nothing fancy in the jacket department, just charcoal wool/nylon GAP coat, and 2 outdoors type jackets. I work for a manufacturing plant (90% of the time spent in the office). Â For the past 3 years I've been getting away with jeans and a T, sometimes jeans and a sweater. Â However, I think it's time for a little change. I'm in my early 20s, 5'9, ~185lbs. I jeans size is 32-33" waist, 30-32" length. Â Fairly broad shoulders (which means I usually have to buy tops a bit larger and alter them near the waist). My problem, if I wear anything outside of jeans and a T-shirt, I feel like I'm overdressed. Â Any suggestions on combinations of clothes that will be more business casual/casual than jeans/T-shirt? I wouldn't mind adding some colour to my wardrobe, but I just can't match anything. Â I can't put anything together past black pants w/ blue or white shirt
confused.gif
Any suggestions/links for further reading would be appreciated. Thanks, MaxTO

philosophe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
One initial strategy would be to upgrade the fabrics. How about replacing the jeans with some corduroy or wool trousers or even just some chinos? Similarly, add some nicer patterned button down shirts (BR or better if you can afford it), polos, and sweaters.

As for learning color, try two things: (1) Check out the basic advice on the Ask Andy website and (2) window shop the good stores. You can really learn a lot by looking at displays and trying on different combinations.

Hope this helps. People on this board will no doubt give you more specific advice.

aybojs

Reaction score
I have a suggestion for an easy way to learn matching. Go to the Land's End website and click on the tab that says "My Model." You'll get to play around with a virtual mannequin and go through a huge selection of Land's End offerings to mix and match various clothing items.

A lot of sites have this feature, but Land's End is the best for this purpose because they have so many different types of clothing (polos, jeans, suits, dress shirts, etc) and a lot of color options, and it's a really helpful way to get a rough idea of what goes with what. It's actually quite addictive once you get familiar with the interface and it lets you try combinations you never would have thought of.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ineloquence, but you sound like you're dressed kind of "old," to me.

Tommy Bahama's not something I'm at all accustomed to seeing on someone in their early 20s.

You could update your look with sleeker jeans. I'd recommend losing the Jones New York button-up as well -- it sounds as though it would be rather blase.

MaxTO

Reaction score
Tommy Bahama's not something I'm at all accustomed to seeing on someone in their early 20s.
As far as Tommy Bahama goes...I only have the jeans (for some reason they had a much better fit/feel than Levis, Tommy Hilfiger and a few others that I tried on), perhaps I should stop by a store and try on some of the higher end stuff such as Diesel? Not sure what other "sleeker" jeans to look for here in Toronto (or where for that matter).

I'd recommend losing the Jones New York button-up as well -- it sounds as though it would be rather blase.
Anything in particular to look for? Keep in mind, although I work, I'm still in school, so I can't really justify spending $150+ on a single shirt.

Thanks for the replies so far.

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as Tommy Bahama goes...I only have the jeans (for some reason they had a much better fit/feel than Levis, Tommy Hilfiger and a few others that I tried on), perhaps I should stop by a store and try on some of the higher end stuff such as Diesel? Not sure what other "sleeker" jeans to look for here in Toronto (or where for that matter).
I'd recommend losing the Jones New York button-up as well -- it sounds as though it would be rather blase.
Anything in particular to look for? Keep in mind, although I work, I'm still in school, so I can't really justify spending $150+ on a single shirt. Thanks for the replies so far.
I'm in the same boat you are -- I'm at the tail end of a nine month sentence in insurance hell in order to finance my higher education. A lot of my finds are thrift store/consignment, integrated (I hope) seamlessly with select calculated retail purchases. There are guys here who know way, way, way more about denim than I do, so I'll defer to them on that. I'd say Diesel's washes are generally a bit outrageous for what you're wanting. What sort of price range are you looking at for shirts? There is a street in Toronto that I have been told is great for shopping, but I've not been so I'm uncertain of the name.

MaxTO

Reaction score
As far as prices go, these would seem reasonable to me...
(prices in $CAD w/ tax included)

Jeans/Pants: $100-150
Casual/Dress Shirt: $75-125
T-shirts: $20-30
Long Sleeve T-shirts: $50-75
Shoes: $150-275
Sweater: $75-150

Spending anything above those prices would be considered a luxury for me and I couldn't really justify it, at least not at the present time.

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ill give him a plug as he is a really great trader... Lance (discostu) is offloading a lot of gear, and im sure you can find plenty there to beef up the wardrobe, and have change based on the numbers you quote. www.virtualclotheshorse.com look in his clearance section

Bergdorf Goodwill

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spending anything above those prices would be considered a luxury for me and I couldn't really justify it, at least not at the present time.
I like Seven jeans, which can be had at that price and often for less. A lot of people don't.

Their washes tend to be fairly straightforward, so there's not really much worry about their appropriateness in a more casual office.

trogdor

Reaction score

In Toronto, if you want to go top-end for jeans, try a store called Over The Rainbow in at 101 Yorkville avenue. You could end up spending a lot, but it might be a good place just to go and try on a bunch of different jeans to get a feel for what you like.

As for both dress and sport shirts, I seriously reccommend the branch of Winners at College & Yonge. I've picked up some fantastic shirts there for under $100 CDN (by some big names, if you care, such as Ferre and Tateossian), and they always have a lot of Hilfiger, CK and Ralph Lauren stuff. Occasionally they get in some more pricey shirts/ties in the Armani/Gucci range (My best buy was a gold Prada tie for $25 CDN -- I kid you not).

They also have sweaters, T's and dress pants and now men's shoes too (I got some Donald J PLiner chelsea boots for $99 CDN) -- all within your price range. If you've got the patience, it would be a great place to re-build a wardrobe from scratch.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Before you go buying a bunch of clothes, let me submit what I think is the #1 most important thing about the issue: fit. If you buy clothes you think fit you, and they are really nice, but they don't actually fit, you will look bad, no matter what (IMO). If you buy cheap clothes that fit exactly right, you will look 20x better than expensive-poor-fitting-clothes guy. I say this because when I started getting into clothes I went on an Ebay binge and some retail/discount buying, and ended up with a bunch of really nice shirts that are a size I thought I was (16.5/34). I used to play trumpet in high school, and that's the size I remember getting because I wore dress shirts for concerts, and needed a big neck size. My neck is closer to 15.5 or 16" but the main thing in wearing 'dress' shirts casually is the size of the shoulders and body, and the size of the sleeves, etc. Similarly with pants and suits, make sure you are buying things that fit right, or once you notice they don't you will stop wearing them, and the money/time will be mostly wasted. Of course you could sell them back off or whatever, but you get my point. Figure out your actual size in different garments by trying them on. For example I am a M in shirts usually, but I need a small size sweater because they are usually cut really big. Other than that, what everyone else is saying should get you started. Good luck.

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going off-topic here just to say that I would have never figured J to be a high school trumpeter. I guess you learn something new every day. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Miles Davis guy (and Chet Baker, and Wynton, and Chris Botti, and, and, and...)

Plus I want to be the first to welcome Trogdor to SF.

The Burninator rules.

Ed13

Reaction score
I would second the suggestion of cords or chinos in place of jeans. Both can be dressed up or down and always look more professional than jeans in the workplace. I believe shirts with some type of collar will look better than t's.

For colour I would keep it simple and start with brown shoes and buy earth tones and slowly expand from their.

Places to look for decent quality at good prices;
Harry Rosen Outlet - Mississauga
Holt Renfrew Outlet - Steeles/Yonge
Any Winners Store

My favourite is the Harry Rosen Outlet. Good selection, very good sales at times and the sales reps are as good as those in the regular stores.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going off-topic here just to say that I would have never figured J to be a high school trumpeter.  I guess you learn something new every day.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Miles Davis guy (and Chet Baker, and Wynton, and Chris Botti, and, and, and...)
Hmm. Yeah, I was 1st trumpet in the concert and jazz bands. I actually did a little informal session work, too. Not much of a jazz guy anymore though.

fkl118

Reaction score
I'd definitely go take a look at the Harry Rosen outlet. There'll be plenty of good quality clothes in your price range. It's worth the drive. The Holt Renfrew outlet is less reliable in that the men's selection is pretty small, and are mostly more fashion-forward items from past seasons. Good selection of Boss if you're into that. Might be worthwhile to look if you happen to be in the area. Word of advice: don't go during rush hour traffic; the left hand turn out of there will take half an hour.
sad.gif
I love Winners. I've found great stuff including Zegna and Brioni there.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads