• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

some advice on buying a 1998 porsche boxster

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
look i'll be honest here. i'm a student in new orleans. i have girls, but i need more girls, and porsches get em.

there's a used boxster going for ~$16k. this would be my first car. four owners, 71k miles... fuel economy is not a problem since i've never paid for gas in my life, so i'll automatically get accustomed to whatever the initial price is (human psychology)

should i get it? can you guys recommend a better/cheaper car for getting chicks? I guess I can get the fam to pay for a more expensive car but I know the value of money, so I'd rather not...

jkennett

Reaction score
The most fundamental problem with a boxster is that you can only fit one girl in the car... A bmw 330 or something along those lines should be sufficient if you just want random girls that are impressed with cars.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They are fine for sort runs, but you will need a jar of painkillers to make it any distance in one.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
versaceman: new orleans, for god's sake. obv no snow. the thing is i usually live in either toronto or india - it snows in toronto, and the import duties in india are too ridiculous to consider any of this (a benz s-class in india costs the same as a ******* ferrari anywhere else, $200k-250k, it's insane). this is basically the only chance i'll ever have to own a sports car

unpainted huff - srsly? that bad, eh?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Before you do it, you might want to run a Carfax report to make sure it wasn't flooded during Katrina or something.

If not, I don't see why not. It'll definitely pull the chicks.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
right but what will monthly maintenance be like

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is this a joke? almost seems like a troll. and youll automatically get adjusted to gas prices? its human psychology? youll be adjusted, and youll also be broke. not to mention how much repair costs will be. like many of the high ends cars, theyre great while theyre under warranty, after that, not so fun.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
is this a joke? almost seems like a troll. and youll automatically get adjusted to gas prices? its human psychology? youll be adjusted, and youll also be broke. not to mention how much repair costs will be. like many of the high ends cars, theyre great while theyre under warranty, after that, not so fun.

well if it's that expensive i just won't use it that much.

maintenance costs though, tell me more about that. how much do you think monthly or annual maintenance for an old boxter will be?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I used to work for a car dealership and I looked through "the book" and saw how much some service jobs costs, and the above vague proclamations against the service costs are valid. You better know what you're doing (DO SOME RESEARCH), especially if you're not going to "use it that much". If you can handle the costs, have a blast with it. You only live once.

mps23

Reaction score
don't you think something might be suspicious if the car has had 4 owners? it seems like the car may not be all that great if it has been passed around constantly.

dl20

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mps23
don't you think something might be suspicious if the car has had 4 owners? it seems like the car may not be all that great if it has been passed around constantly.

+1

lemon

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Get the vehicle service history to see whether it had regularly scheduled maintenance performed and if there have been any major problems or accidents.

oman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
excellent advice on all counts. you guys are my dawgs. and i agree, this is really not something i can afford not to research

and yeah i don't think i'll be going for this particular one. but somewhere out there is a boxster with my name on it.

i've actually hated boxsters as far back as i can remember, since i was an eight-year-old living in oman (oil country) the year they first introduced it, and the things started falling out of the sky. i still hate them - entry-level porsche, et cetera. but i'm starting to realize that 90% of the world doesn't see the car that way. and more to the point, 90% of attractive materialistic girls don't see the car that way.

and once i came to this realization, i was astounded at how financially accessible the car is. $20k isn't quite nothing, but it's a LOT less than what i expected

but like dl20 said i guess that might scream lemon

i'm going to go check out some of the porsche forums mentioned in the other thread. any other advice, duders?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads