• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solo Traveling Southeast Asia?

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, so this thread could mean pretty much anything right? Hah!

I'm planning on leaving my job in a little over a month. In late may or early June, I'm going back to the motherland (India) to visit family for about 2 weeks. After that, I have time to travel and I really want to go through southeast asia. I don't have a set agenda, but I don't like flying through places just to check them off the list. I'd like to explore around a place for a week or so and get a feel for it before moving around. I'm okay missing out on a few things and don't feel the need to check off every box when I'm there.

Logistically, I probably have about 3-5K to spend and might get my RT to India paid for as a family gift.

I'm trying to figure out which countries I should go to and what I should do there. I don't have any idea where to start regarding how to decide how many and which...

I'm starting med school in the fall and hoping to get a last huzzah in before that.

Any suggestions or advice would be hugely appreciated.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Look white for better service.

Don't look white to avoid the touts.

Fuller advice soon, but:

Malaysia-nicest people on Earth
Vietnam-beautiful, interesting, great food. The Hyatt in Da Nang is fantastic and I believe a member here handled it's opening
Thailand-mostly skip
Philipines-skip, though the food is ridiculously good
Macau-amazing for a day trip (you can read its history in its architecture)
Hong Kong-just amazing

DONT get a cheap SEAsian suit made

Last edited:

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm ideally looking to spend about a month wandering outside india. I feel like spending time exploring 2 countries will probably be more than enough especially since airfare is substantial in comparison to cost of living. Also probably staying in hostels vs hyatts haha.

What about cambodia?

Thanks for the info!

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echoing Clags statements on Vietnam, HK and Malaysia. Indonesia has some parts that are breathtakingly beautiful, other parts are best avoided.
I don't know if you consider it SE Asia, but southwest China (Yunnan) is a fascinating region to travel.
Also, for food, nothing beats China.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Look white for better service.

Don't look white to avoid the touts.

Fuller advice soon, but:

Malaysia-nicest people on Earth
Vietnam-beautiful, interesting, great food. The Hyatt in Da Nang is fantastic and I believe a member here handled it's opening
Thailand-mostly skip
Philipines-skip, though the food is ridiculously good
Macau-amazing for a day trip (you can read its history in its architecture)
Hong Kong-just amazing

DONT get a cheap SEAsian suit made

Dude, Thailand mostly skip for a young guy traveling solo? Also, stay at the Hyatt in Vietnam? You should be staying in hostels and badly made bamboo beach bungalows. You won't be meeting many people and make new friends in hotels, that's for sure.

Out of all of the SEA countries I've been to (Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos & Indonesia), I've had by far the most fun in Thailand. It's not a even close. I think I've spent 4 months in total in Thailand, and I could've spent many more there.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echoing Clags statements on Vietnam, HK and Malaysia. Indonesia has some parts that are breathtakingly beautiful, other parts are best avoided.

I don't know about Vietnam, but Thailand is great. Sure, some parts of it are very touristy, but there's still plenty of fantastic places, people are very friendly, food is great. Yes, there are touts, but you'll find them in many places in SE Asia. If you have time, I'd certainly include Thailand on your itinerary.

I had some of the most amazing experiences of my life in the several months that I spent travelling through Indonesia in 1996-1997. Yes, some places were absolute hellholes and I couldn't wait to get out, but other places were astonishingly beautiful, the people were great, the atmosphere was great, and I could happily have stayed longer.

Reaction score

Attachments

• thailand.png
    thailand.png
    547 KB · Views: 83

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads