• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Oohh-- Neapolitans don't like braces, from what I've seen.

Verniza

Reaction score

Alright guys here are the pictures; i've tried to take as many different shots as possible. You can see the shape of the suit, the finishing on the buttonholes/stitching, the roll of the lapel and the lovely shape of the patch pocket. I wore it straight out of the box for the whole day and this is what it looks like now. Fabric used is Loro Piana Super150 Tasmania. I had no choice but to choose a very sombre colour because of the strict dress code for court in Singapore. Overall, I am very happy with the shape and finishing of the jacket. It is refined enough, but you can clearly see that it is hand-stitched. This is my first foray into bespoke and I am more than pleased. Things that still need to be tweaked: left shoulder still slightly too big, and trousers are too loose at the waist. Also, I asked for horn buttons but was given plastic buttons. Will ask Luigi to change that. Finally, I wanted double stitch at the shoulder as well, but I think Luigi probably forgot.All these things can be easily rectified. Things I would do differently next time: perhaps a 3 roll 2, instead of a 3 roll 2.5, and maybe a slightly longer jacket. I'm not sure what others think but to me this is more of a sports jacket length than a formal suit length.
[COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Looks really good as a first jacket. Singapore could really use a trunk show or 2.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I specifically asked for it, thinking it was one of the typically neapolitan features. After all, I've got other 'normal' suits, so i thought, why not! 

I think it is an SC-feature. Do not like it too much on more formal suits.
Also, I do not think that those buttons are made of plastic.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I specifically asked for it, thinking it was one of the typically neapolitan features. After all, I've got other 'normal' suits, so i thought, why not! 

I think you made the right choice. It looks great. The suit fit and finish look great too. I'll certainly be going with him. I think others who have criticised his finish may have been too picky. I'd be very happy with such a suit.

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Alright guys here are the pictures; i've tried to take as many different shots as possible. You can see the shape of the suit, the finishing on the buttonholes/stitching, the roll of the lapel and the lovely shape of the patch pocket. I wore it straight out of the box for the whole day and this is what it looks like now. Fabric used is Loro Piana Super150 Tasmania. I had no choice but to choose a very sombre colour because of the strict dress code for court in Singapore. Overall, I am very happy with the shape and finishing of the jacket. It is refined enough, but you can clearly see that it is hand-stitched. This is my first foray into bespoke and I am more than pleased. Things that still need to be tweaked: left shoulder still slightly too big, and trousers are too loose at the waist. Also, I asked for horn buttons but was given plastic buttons. Will ask Luigi to change that. Finally, I wanted double stitch at the shoulder as well, but I think Luigi probably forgot.All these things can be easily rectified. Things I would do differently next time: perhaps a 3 roll 2, instead of a 3 roll 2.5, and maybe a slightly longer jacket. I'm not sure what others think but to me this is more of a sports jacket length than a formal suit length. [COLOR=A74345] [/COLOR]
Are the sleeves a little short?

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any chance of a picture showing the sleeve head?

C&A

Reaction score
nice to see some solito being posted.

buttons are most likely not plastic but corozo which is neapoltan default for business suits.

agree with other posters that the double pick stitching is more a (summer) sports coat feature.

for the tie, you may want to try a four in hand and see how that looks.

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the comments, I really appreciate it!

@lordsuperb Indeed, the trousers do not hang well now. They are far too large at the waist (perhaps 1.5-2 inches too large!
confused.gif
) and I had to tighten the side tabs all the way for me to wear them. We'll see how it fits after this is rectified and I will post more pictures again.

@zag73 I agree with @lordsuperb that the cut and shape is far more important than the precision of the pick stitching and finish. The sleeves aren't too short, its just my shirt cuffs are way too loose and do not sit nicely at my wrist.

@Verniza I have spoken to Luigi and Solito about this, and they said they'll be willing to come to singapore if they can get enough orders!

@C&A thanks for the advice:) I wold wear usually wear my neapolitan suits with a four-in-hand but I had pleadings yesterday and wanted to look more professional. And didn't know about the corozo! I do prefer horn though. Maybe I will get them replaced.

With regards the double stitch, I will be wearing this in Singapore most often (despite being in the UK now) and wanted this suit to be differentiated from all the other normal suits in Sg (you never ever ever see anyone with double stitch). But I can see how it is less formal and proper. I like it nonetheless!:)

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I myself would rather have fit AND finish ;)

Well based on your concerns and recent comments, Solito isn't your guy. Try someone more expensive because we all know you get what you pay for, or do you?

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well based on your concerns and recent comments, Solito isn't your guy. Try someone more expensive because we all know you get what you pay for, or do you?

I merely expressed a concern that I'd previously read about. You clearly have a bee in your bonnet. From what I've seen in the above pictures, finish is not an issue. Perhaps other have much higher expectations.

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
we all know that the MOST important thing about a suit is a good buttonhole

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking back over this thread, I seem to be the source of the comments on quality of finishing.

FWIW, I meant that, for instance, some of the stitches on the lining have come loose after a couple times wearing the suit. Which is a very minor annoyance.

I didn't have in mind the quality of decorative pic stitching but I do think a lot of other tailors do that quite a bit better.

Fit is great though. It's interesting to hear Solito Jr is making regular trips to London...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads