• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
My two grays also have it. You can't see it at all on the nailhead and on the solid gray it's visible but barely. The tan shows it the most and the pic is flash, which highlights it. In normal light, I doubt most people would notice.

I want flap pockets on my fresco suits and I guess I will have to do these pockets. Is the phantom pocket reserved for more tightly woven fabrics?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

Originally Posted by Manton
My two grays also have it. You can't see it at all on the nailhead and on the solid gray it's visible but barely. The tan shows it the most and the pic is flash, which highlights it. In normal light, I doubt most people would notice.

I want flap pockets on my fresco suits and I guess I will have to do these pockets. Is the phantom pocket reserved for more tightly woven fabrics?
The phantom pocket is something they do for unlined jackets with flap pockets. They way they make the inside, the partial lining stops at the pocket and there is nothing to tack the pocket onto on the inside. So they do that phantom stitch.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The back part of the pocket isn't tacked to anything, ever, even on a fully lined jacket. Front edge of the pocket is tacked to the canvass along the front edge of the pocket and along the top edge of the pocket to the end of the canvass. This phantom thing is a stylistic effect rather than serving any function.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

The back part of the pocket isn't tacked to anything, ever, even on a fully lined jacket. Front edge of the pocket is tacked to the canvass along the front edge of the pocket and along the top edge of the pocket to the end of the canvass. This phantom thing is a stylistic effect rather than serving any function.

But they don't do it on lined coats, only on unlined. I assume they must have a reason beyond mere style or else they would do it on everything.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe, I really don't know why they would have to tack it when a jacket is unlined.

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, well. After a year's delay through family crisis, and another few months from sloppy administration, I finally get my blue linen jacket.

Shoulders, fit, and silhouette are amazing. Same general aims there as Steven Hitchcock, but softer, less lining, superior sewing, and just enough closeness under the arms to give a hint of the lift I remember from the first Dege suits I bought, back in their Clifford Street days. Waist needs to be taken in an inch or two but that's my fault..

Now if I could only get used to some of the Neapolitan styling. Lapels (2 button) very wide and sporty almost in a 1970s sort of way. And the sleeve buttons-- tiny, miles from the cuff, and all bunched together as if they'd slid down my arm and crashed at the bottom. Anyone managed to negotiate a more Anglo-American look out of those details? The potential is astounding.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
My lapels are not crazy (with the possible exception of my one DB and your definition of "crazy"). All the SBs have quite moderate or at least harmonious lapels, about halfway across the chest, comparable to an A&S expat. But all mine are 3 button so maybe that makes a difference.

I have a feeling (and it could be wrong) that asking an Italian tailor to make a two button suit is like asking an English tailor to make a barchetta or spalla camicia. They will probably do it but it's not in their DNA and it won't look quite right.

I know what you mean about the sleeve buttons. I just live with it and it really doesn't bother me. I know, however, that they will modify certain things. E.g., at least one of my NY friends has gotten them to do a proper long, straight English carnation buttonhole on the lapel instead of the abbreviated little thing they normally do. Luigi asked me if I wanted that and I told him to just make his usual lapel hole.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well, well. After a year's delay through family crisis, and another few months from sloppy administration, I finally get my blue linen jacket.

Shoulders, fit, and silhouette are amazing. Same general aims there as Steven Hitchcock, but softer, less lining, superior sewing, and just enough closeness under the arms to give a hint of the lift I remember from the first Dege suits I bought, back in their Clifford Street days. Waist needs to be taken in an inch or two but that's my fault..

Now if I could only get used to some of the Neapolitan styling. Lapels (2 button) very wide and sporty almost in a 1970s sort of way. And the sleeve buttons-- tiny, miles from the cuff, and all bunched together as if they'd slid down my arm and crashed at the bottom. Anyone managed to negotiate a more Anglo-American look out of those details? The potential is astounding.

Any hope of pics? :slayer:

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When is Solito coming back to NYC? It was supposed to be in September, right?Does anyone have dates?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

My lapels are not crazy (with the possible exception of my one DB and your definition of "crazy"). All the SBs have quite moderate or at least harmonious lapels, about halfway across the chest, comparable to an A&S expat. But all mine are 3 button so maybe that makes a difference.

I have a feeling (and it could be wrong) that asking an Italian tailor to make a two button suit is like asking an English tailor to make a barchetta or spalla camicia. They will probably do it but it's not in their DNA and it won't look quite right.

I know what you mean about the sleeve buttons. I just live with it and it really doesn't bother me. I know, however, that they will modify certain things. E.g., at least one of my NY friends has gotten them to do a proper long, straight English carnation buttonhole on the lapel instead of the abbreviated little thing they normally do. Luigi asked me if I wanted that and I told him to just make his usual lapel hole.

I guess the thing to try would be a 3-button with one button (large) on the sleeve. Your lapels don't look too out-there, although they don't quite look SR either. Tweeds, linens, or perhaps a rusticated, professorial flannel suit. Apparently you have to go further north (or to London House) for a proper business suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score

I guess the thing to try would be a 3-button with one button (large) on the sleeve. Your lapels don't look too out-there, although they don't quite look SR either. Tweeds, linens, or perhaps a rusticated, professorial flannel suit. Apparently you have to go further north (or to London House) for a proper business suit.

Well, I think that goes too far. Everthing I have from them I wear for business, even the linen (on Fridays when half the place is empty). All the rest are worsteds plus one flannel. I think they are perfectly fine and don't look at all unusual.

The lapel shape is different, not at all SR, I was speaking of the width. I prefer the shape of the Solito notch to the A&S notch. I don't think the Solito notch looks much different than Rubinacci, if at all. There is a "Naples notch" look that all the tailors from there share. It's a different approach not just to SR but to the rest of Italy. It's distinctive if you know what it looks like and how it differs but not so distinctive than a non-iGent would see it and think "What the hell is that?"

kcc

Reaction score

I know, right! I wondered the same recently. Besides Ciardi, he's the only other Neapolitan tailor I would try as Panico's prices mirrors LH now.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Last I spoke with them, there had been a recurrence of the family illness that had wreaked some havoc before. So don't assume too much on the travel front.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads