1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Solito Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

I have seen coats from several top Neapolitan houses (and have tried, and been dissatisfied, with a couple myself). Solito is unreliable when it comes to dealing w/ foreign clients (and I'm being VERY diplomatic when I say that).

No experience with Pirozzi, but I would personally go with either Gennaro Paone or Renato Ciardi.

2 people like this.
  2. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Differences in finishing quality at this level are of very marginal importance, to my mind. You are going to be wearing your clothes, not studying the stitches. Fit, style, chemistry with your tailor, etc., are far more important.

Also, as others point out, Solito has proven unreliable when dealing with foreigners. That would be enough reason to cross him off my list, regardless of how great the clothes might be.

4 people like this.
  3. Mark Lee Jin Yi

Mark Lee Jin Yi Senior member

Thanks so much for the response guys. @mafoofan you are right, i won't be studying the stitches! but i was wondering if you guys could comment perhaps a little of the difference between the two shapes/styles.

@Grammaton Cleric , do you mind elaborating a little more in a PM maybe, why Solito's proven to be unreliable when it comes to foreign customers?

I was thinking it should be fine since i'll be travelling to Napoli for measurement and first fitting in december, and he says that he'll have it for second fitting by january and it would be really by february. seems pretty reasonable to me!

Thanks a lot once again guys:) really appreciate it!

4. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Agree with foo about the finishing. Should be a low priority. As long as it's above a certain level (which Solito definitely is) the focus should be on other things.

If you're going to Naples, you will probably be fine. That is, if you have time to get fitted in Naples. If you go there to order but expect to see him in another city, I wouldn't count on it. He hasn't been to New York since March 2011. He's announced a few trips since, but hasn't made it. I still hope to see him again but I really have no idea if I will--that is, unless I go to Naples again, which I am considering.

I love the clothes, but the service has been frustrating.

5. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

Hi

I'm thinking of getting a jacket made by Solito. Reliability aside, what's the view on his finish? I've read that it's not that great.

6. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored

Based on the one jacket (half of a suit) the he made for me, I'd say OK. But unless he were the only convenient choice you had, I'd suggest considering your options.

7. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response. I think I'll look elsewhere. Have you had any experience with Graham Browne in London?

8. Concordia

9. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

Anyone you could recommend in London?

10. Concordia

Sure. What sort of style are you looking for?

11. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a sports jacket. Something to be worn casually. I like the look of the Neapolitan jacket, hence the Solito question. Moneywise, I'm looking between £1000 and £1200.

12. greger

greger Senior member

Now that some time has gone by how have the unlined sleeves held up? I would think they would get baggy, and a bit longer time, holes in them. Maybe leather patches would work.

13. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

I think a Rolling Stones tongue patch would be much cuter.

2 people like this.
  14. bengal-stripe

bengal-stripe Senior member Dubiously Honored

Solito together with shirt maker Luca Avitabile (formerly Satriano Cinque) have monthly/six weekly fitting sessions in London' Pall Mall. It is usually Luigi attending, but I have also met Gennaro there once. I have no experience with Solito yet, but I intend to place an order next time for some (ice-cream coloured) summer jacket.

Luca has made a couple of shirts for me, and there were no difficulties with cancelled or changed dates. Solito was always in attendance and they had a rack of garments in various stages of completion waiting to b fitted to their prospective owners.That routine of London appointments seems to have settled-in reliably. The next dates are February 26-28 and April 16-18.

Don't forget, Solito's prices are in Euros and with the Euro quite low at the moment, you are in for a bargain.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  15. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

I've just had a shirt made by Luca. Lovely material and excellent fit. I'm down in February to place another order. However, I'm a little disappointed with the hand stitched element. I'll ask to clean it up. I'm sure there'll be no problems as he's nice to deal with.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2015
  16. greger

greger Senior member

In a hot climate garments that breath better are an advantage. Maybe a little sleeve lining in the elbow area. Inside, of course.

17. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

and wearing only swimshorts at the pool is an even bigger advantage...

18. greger

greger Senior member

Well! Sometimes skinny dipping is even better. City boys missed out on a lot of country boy fun. Riding tractors through deep mud. Jumping into hay. Milk squirted right into the mouth, can't get any fresher than that. When it comes to eggs one turkey egg = two chicken eggs and a banty egg = half a normal size chicken egg. Now if you want two and a half eggs what do you grab? How about three eggs? One and a half eggs? Banties are small chickens. Don't care for water fowl eggs. Didn't live in the country long but my parents had chickens, turkeys and goats in the city limits.

1 person likes this.
  19. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

Ever tried milk from a pregnant woman?
    Ostrich eggs are even better!

20. greger

greger Senior member

You still drink nursery milk?
    Your stomach is big enough to eat Ostrich eggs? Just one would make a lot of pancakes.