Solito Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Yet another person who views image consultants through a negative lens, huh? Hours of work go into each consultation. It feels like time better spent than researching specific Italian brands that are outside most people's budgets. (The Die Workwear article actually makes some good points, by the way; sometimes entries on blog-like sites are self-obsessed and of little value to visitors.) The weird thing is that Style Forum can talk a ton about brands like Solito and overlook basic fit issues.

2. zag73

zag73 Well-Known Member

This is the Solito thread.......

3. SartodiNapoli

SartodiNapoli Senior member

Hi, a poster pmd me for my opinion.

The jacket fits far times better than the hyped and terrible usual Rubinacci most of the posters love while most of the times are a complete fail.

This jacket looks very good, the sleeves are correct and on pitch, on the contrary to another very hyped and bad tailor that is Pirozzi, who after Rubinacci is the one who does most issues.

Maybe the sleeves are a bit short, but that is peccata minuta. I can´t see if are bags below the armhole as on very bad and hyped tailors, but i guess are any because the biceps got the correct diameter and not exagerated as on this two tailors i am talking.

Maybe the button pulls a bit, but with the shadow, i can´t see it very well.

Resume, one of the best jackets i have seen in time on the forum, and judging only by this picture( i havent readed the rest of the thread, only this page) ( but because what i see lastly from the so called Neapolitan tailors do not deserve to be called Neapolitan or tailors either )

But the trouser is a complete disaster, not sure either if is a matched trouser or a different one also by the light and pic.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2015

4. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

Yes, it's the Solito thread. And there have been long threads about other suit brands that aren't known by the general public. Has there ever been one about tie tips that show with fastened suits? Priorities. A suit that is mediocre in quality and fits great > a high-quality suit that fits mediocre. Probably some swaths of Style Forum members are more about the adventure (or the insider status) than the results.

Edit: he's right about the pants - sometimes even the critics get too caught up in specifics.

5. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Tell him that just the tip was enough to make people in this thread excitable.

6. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

I'm not here to portray image consultants in a negative light, you're doing quite a good job yourself already.
    You could do worse than spending a few of those hours by reading @dieworkwear's blog, if it's expertise you're after.

7. SartodiNapoli

Who made most of the terrible suits shown here?

Only the famous Liverano pinstriped blue is good. Real aberrations shown there.

Who made all that mess?

http://dieworkwear.com/post/47544503001/the-italian-cover-up

8. dieworkwear

The true mark of bespoke is whether or not something causes a fight on StyleForum.

9. greger

greger Senior member

That would include any one here who makes a coat for himself.
    Shall the competition begin?

10. Mark Lee Jin Yi

Mark Lee Jin Yi Senior member

Ok so to stop the fight, I thought I try on the suit again and take pictures in my apartment without any funny lighting effects etc. Having said that, this is how it looks like with me standing quite still with minimal movement. Hope this appeases most of you now!

@SartodiNapoli yes, the trousers right now are way too big at the waist and way too long. So it is not an accurate representation of the finished product.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. greger

greger Senior member

About 50 years ago I heard the pros and cons of tie, belt, waistband, shirt showing. This involves open cut or closed. Open quarters or closed. And something else that just slipped my mind. Of course this always plays out with people new to it. A summer coat, open cut, it doesn't matter, because you are avoiding the summer heat. (this is before air-conditioning, huh?) A winter coat has more over lap. Since we don't live in history I'll step back and watch you guys babble out some new rules.

12. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

The jacket is fine, have him take a look at the pants. Also, don't put patch pockets on a formal suit again.

13. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

14. SartodiNapoli

Ah is it yours( i mean from a member here) , cheers. The trouser is made by the same tailor? I mean that because in Naples, the famous tailors of this houses, never do the trousers themselves or their team, but is made by third parties who only do trousers, this way supposedly they get a more specialiced product, but here the trouser is the contrary, is not at the level of the jacket.

Really? Then more to my side, how any can pay over 4000e for those horrible fitted suits, that honestly, if you go to the next random rtw shop on your corner and try your aprox size, would fit far better than those aberrations. Are at the low, bad, irritating level of the Madrid (un)tailors. Those who even dare to say beat Savile or Naples and only do issue after issue.

The worst is the low knowledge level of those who paid a lot for it, and took pics of themselves trying to convince them or others that by being Rubinacci were automatically good. Similar to the people who used to buy a Mercedes, specially low end models, thinking just by having the Mercedes star means having a McLaren with 600 horses.

How many of those do we all know?

Edited; I am reading now part of the thread, even I am not very fan of Loro Piana, this chosen Tasmanian S150 is honestly one of the finest and best business like fabrics around.

15. dieworkwear

Another fight!

[​IMG]