• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solito Thread

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It bugs me to see shirt, tie or top of the trouser waistband so I fit and shape the fronts to avoid this. Not every tailor or fitter thinks it is an issue. If you don't want to see this, ask for an adjustment at the fittings. Not much you can do to change the jacket at this point. Have never had a client ask to see the tie, shirt or waistband when the jacket is buttoned but they do appreciate having the fronts cover these points. The fronts are still shaped with open quarters.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It bugs me to see shirt, tie or top of the trouser waistband  so I fit and shape the fronts to avoid this. Not every tailor or fitter thinks it is an issue. If you don't want to see this, ask for an adjustment at the fittings. Not much you can do to change the jacket at this point.  Have never had a client ask to see the tie, shirt or waistband when the jacket is buttoned but they do appreciate having the fronts cover these points. The fronts are still shaped with open quarters.

Is it fair to say that if a client wants very open quarters and a lower rise for his trousers, this is an inevitability? I get the sense that's what Mark wanted -- not necessarily for the tip of his tie to show, but a modern rise for his pants and very open quarters.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Doesn't have to be that way

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
It bugs me to see shirt, tie or top of the trouser waistband so I fit and shape the fronts to avoid this. Not every tailor or fitter thinks it is an issue. If you don't want to see this, ask for an adjustment at the fittings. Not much you can do to change the jacket at this point. Have never had a client ask to see the tie, shirt or waistband when the jacket is buttoned but they do appreciate having the fronts cover these points. The fronts are still shaped with open quarters.

Does that mean your buttoning stance is lower, and the jacket would be longer? Or does it mean that the quarters you cut are less open?

Admittedly, my torso is longer and my legs are shorter. If the buttoning point is too low, I think the jacket might end up be a little too long?

Also, the rise of my trousers for this suit while not high, isn't very low either. It sits at my waist already (as i said, longer torso shorter legs).

P-K-L

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
all of my 11+ neapolitan suits do not reveal the tie tip

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The sleeves on the jackets look disproportionate to the body. To my eye they look quite large.

?

Last edited:

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Almost all those are Rubinacci.

Didn't read the text. Just looked at the pictures. Anyway, because any tie showing there is minimal and hard to see, it's hardly going to bother anyone or distract from the beauty of the suits (the somewhat full sleeves might be more of a distraction). The issue with the Solito suit came up due to the loud tie. Perhaps, the new trend toward aggressively styled suits that sometimes show tie tip isn't flaming out because people often wear those with dark ties (like blue or black grenadines, a quasi-trend).

Last edited:

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edit: 'mensimageconsultant' is neither infallible nor a tailor and had hardly viewed the earlier photos. Thankfully, a master tailor (Despos) is here and can say whether the button stance is or is not slightly off.
Hrrm, well, per roughly a minute of looking at Liverano suits with Google, the only images where tip tie shows buttoned are at [drumroll]
http://dieworkwear.com/post/47544503001/the-italian-cover-up
And less so than his.

[meant as slightly humorous]
Didn't read the text. Just looked at the pictures. Anyway, because any tie showing there is minimal and hard to see, it's hardly going to bother anyone or distract from the beauty of the suits (the somewhat full sleeves might be more of a distraction). The issue with the Solito suit came up due to the loud tie. Perhaps, the new trend toward aggressively styled suits that sometimes show tie tip isn't flaming out because people often wear those with dark ties (like blue or black grenadines, a quasi-trend).

If this level of effort in 'research' is indicative of your consultancy work, then I wouldn't be recommending you to anyone and it makes your putting down another poster as having 'probably no expertise in any style field' plainly ridiculous.

The sleeves on the jackets look disproportionate to the body. To my eye they look quite large.

That is one of the most typical Neapolitan style cues.

Last edited:

zag73

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If this level of effort in 'research' is indicative of your consultancy work, then I wouldn't be recommending you to anyone and it makes your putting down another poster as having 'probably no expertise in any style field'  plainly ridiculous.

That is one of the most typical Neapolitan style cues.

Ah, I see. Thanks.

Mark Lee Jin Yi

Reaction score
NYWAYS:)

I shall speak to Luigi when he comes about the pulling at the waist and the tie tip being exposed below the button, and I will get back to ya'll about it!:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads