1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Solito Angst

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Sep 15, 2010.

1. George

George Well-Known Member

The most traditional Indian foodstuff: whiskey.
    Firewater?

2. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

You don't look like a Brown Kid.
    Thanks! Wait, uhh, what do I look like?

3. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Thanks!

Wait, uhh, what do I look like?

UMD?

[​IMG]

- B

4. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

At least you're still above those Hong Kong schools.

If I take a Harvard catalog to a Hong Kong school, do you think that they can give me a copy of a quality education? I'd like an Ivy League education, but I'm not sure it's worth all that money since I see little difference in the poasts here on SF.

The trajectrory of this thread has been breathtaking, even by styleforum standards.

Being Manton's thread, its trajectory has been intercontinentally ballistic.

--Andre

5. mafoofan

UMD?

[​IMG]

Maybe more like MK. Three foo points (+3 for Harvard!) if you can figure out what that means.

6. voxsartoria

Maybe more like MK. Three foo points (+3 for Harvard!) if you can figure out what that means.

Mekong Kollege?

[​IMG]

- B

7. voxsartoria

I'd like an Ivy League education, but I'm not sure it's worth all that money since I see little difference in the poasts here on SF.

--Andre

Undergraduate room and board is about $60K. If your family income is $80K or less, parents pay nothing. If family income is $180K or less, parental contributions are locked at a ceiling of 10% of gross family income. These days, I don't think students are expected to take out any loans to meet their family contribution. That's at Harvard...other Ivies are not quite as generous, but generally, I think it is case that only those who can pay pay; those who can't don't.

So, it's cheaper than you might think.

Granted, $180K misses the magic $250K mark.

- B

8. gbrown_nyc

gbrown_nyc Well-Known Member

I don't disagree. But almost all schools are more selective year by year. Brown went from 12% acceptance my year to 8 or 9% this year.

Selectivity is one of the easiest metrics to game and as a result the rankings have deweighted selectivity over time. It is meaningless. I hesitate to make that statement in response to a posting by 'Foo as I fear I'm in for a lengthy battle (or maybe not). Schools incentivize admissions typically on quantity, not quality. They have no reason to say no, don't apply, instead the opposite.

If you really want to talk about the gaming of rankings take a look at MBA programs. I could tell you lots about the tricks there.

9. A Y

A Y Well-Known Member

So, it's cheaper than you might think.

Indeed, and an enlightened policy, too. Thanks for an informative response to my not-so-serious post.

--Andre

10. rob

rob Well-Known Member

A college roommate of my small midwest liberal arts college is now a professor at an Ivy. I asked him how much better an education his employer provides vs. our old school. Answer, none at all.

He also dresses like shit, so perhaps all his thoughts are meaningless here.

Rob

11. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

they need to add in Final Four appearances in these lists as a factor in these rankings

12. Parker

Parker Well-Known Member

Manton, do you have other Solito stuff besides the gray DB?
    I thought that one came out very nice. Especially the shape of the lapels.

13. voxsartoria

Selectivity is one of the easiest metrics to game and as a result the rankings have deweighted selectivity over time. It is meaningless. I hesitate to make that statement in response to a posting by 'Foo as I fear I'm in for a lengthy battle (or maybe not). Schools incentivize admissions typically on quantity, not quality. They have no reason to say no, don't apply, instead the opposite.

If you really want to talk about the gaming of rankings take a look at MBA programs. I could tell you lots about the tricks there.

Nothing collegiate holds a candle to a desirable independent primary school in NYC or Boston.

- B

14. voxsartoria

Indeed, and an enlightened policy, too. Thanks for an informative response to my not-so-serious post.

--Andre

[​IMG]

- B

15. mafoofan

Oh, I know there are tricks, which is why you need to look at many factors together. Selectivity by itself is meaningless--but combined with GPA and test score averages, it's much more significant. Also, you can look at sub-groups of students to get a picture of things (where do valedictorians and National Merit Finalists go? how do they rank their preferences? where did they get in? etc.).

16. voxsartoria

Also, you can look at sub-groups of students to get a picture of things (where do valedictorians and National Merit Finalists go? how do they rank their preferences? where did they get in? etc.).

There is something Internet-funny about the word, "valedictorian."

As for your phrase, "valedictorians and National Merit Finalists," wouldn't you be clearer if you simply wrote, "Asian and Indian students?"

[​IMG]

- B

17. mafoofan

As for your phrase, "valedictorians and National Merit Finalists," wouldn't you be clearer if you simply wrote, "Asian and Indian students?"

Yes, but I was trying to be polite.

18. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Manton, do you have other Solito stuff besides the gray DB?
    I thought that one came out very nice. Especially the shape of the lapels.

Yes, that was the second one, I also have an SB nailhead.

19. voxsartoria

Yes, but I was trying to be polite.

[​IMG]

- B

20. gbrown_nyc

gbrown_nyc Well-Known Member

Oh, I know there are tricks, which is why you need to look at many factors together. Selectivity by itself is meaningless--but combined with GPA and test score averages, it's much more significant. Also, you can look at sub-groups of students to get a picture of things (where do valedictorians and National Merit Finalists go? how do they rank their preferences? where did they get in? etc.).

Agreed. But in the end it is all BS anyway. If school rankings had any merit then predicting future success would be easy, a simple regression from the top ranked school on downwards.

I'm Canadian so I had a second rate education at a public school (cost me $600 a year) and then went on to graduate glory at a third tier US public school on a scholarship (cost me $600 a year) and ended up making it into the top US tax bracket if income is any predictor of success. Now I want to drop out and go back to bicycle messengering, 15 years later.