Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Solid (non-navy) Sport Coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Jul 15, 2011.

1. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Herringbone solids are great.

Have this one in the works at the moment blue Donegal herringbone from London Lounge Cloth Club. Here is a picture of Michael Alden wearing it splendidly.

[​IMG]

I am thinking about this one as the next commission silvery grey Loro Piana Cashmere as a sports coat.

[​IMG]

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

[​IMG]

NOBD doing a good job with a solid jacket.

3. Exin

Exin Well-Known Member

Go for something more texturized like linen and fresco, or camelhair for the winter

4. Exin

Exin Well-Known Member

Go for something more texturized, like linen and fresco, or camelhair for the winter

5. tim_horton

tim_horton Senior member

Couldn't agree more.

6. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

I think the key to single color sportcoats is to go with something more sophisticated than the single color - ie. a melange - that appears to be a single color from afar, but becomes much more interesting up close

the variety in the weave of tweeds makes this easy to accomplish

from afar, this swatch below looks like a brown herringbone tweed, but up close, the flecks of green and rust give it a much more complex look. Why choose a flat tweed when something like this is readily still available?

spend time finding tweeds like this

[​IMG]

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I missed out on a brown birdseye belvest SC recently, I've been kicking myself since :facepalm:

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I really like this look! I know some people on here hate blue/navy pants, but I love them!

PS - How do you use spoiler tags in this new forum?

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I like jackets that are "functionally solid" rather than actually solid. Aside from blue. Also, I like to wear the jacket from a linen suit in summer.

But, otherwise, herringbone is nice. It works as a solid without being quite as boring or looking like a suit. I have herringbone in brown, gray and blue gray. The brown gets worn probably more than any other fall/winter coat. I think it's the same cloth as the swatch posted above. Looks like that anyway.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I really like herringbone, too. Just enough pattern to keep it interesting. This one caught my eye. I tend to like a lot of medium toned cloth, but then have to make sure there is enough contrast with my medium gray trou.

[​IMG]

11. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

The Loro Piana herringbone that PSG picked for his latest Mina commission looks heavenly...and right up your alley.

12. wmb

wmb Senior member

I have a P&H very similar to this -- it is very versatile [​IMG][​IMG]

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

I would be careful with Harris, guys. It's really thick and warm. Nice stuff but somewhat impractical unless you live somewhere really cold and/or spend a lot time out of doors. Shetland is more versatile.

14. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks Manton. I would probably burn up in the Harris. Any advice on who makes a good shetland?

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

At risk of perhaps playing Devil's Advocate and taking the thread off-topic, it seems we're reaching an warm and fuzzy consensus (which I agree with) that solid non-navy odd jackets look best when either in a fairly heavily textured fabric/weave or have a faint other pattern but are functionally solid from a distance.

Why then is there such wide general acceptance of flat-looking worsted solid navy blazers? While traditionally one might argue that navy blazers should have texture (I think they were made in a serge originally, so would have had at least a moderately prominent weave), most RTW blazers these days are a very flat - IMO boring - smooth worsted finish. It's not as if SF is a lone island immune to this either. At least, judging from various pics posted over the years, for "proper" blazers, many remain fond of flat-looking blazers still, even when there is the opportunity to order a rougher/textured or subtly patterned finish. I think if I were to get a true navy blazer (as opposed to occasionally using half a summer suit with cream MOP buttons as one occasionally), I would definitely want a significant extra interest to the fabric. Anyway, I'm curious as to whether there is a divergence between navy and non-navy odd jacket feeling?