Solid (non-navy) Sport Coats

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Parker, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I think of sport coats, I usually think of plaids and checks. And while I have a few of those, I've been thinking that solid sport coats can also look pretty good. Besides a couple navy blazer/jackets, I don't have anything solid.

Does anyone else like a solid sport coat? Any favorites? Any cloth suggestions? I consider a herringbone a solid, since it has an overall solid effect. Colors?I found a great tan/olive Harris tweed which I think would look nice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

There's also mostly solid with a subtle windowpane. This is totally great. (Manton).
    [​IMG]

And some cloth:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. acecow

acecow Senior member

I have a gray camelhair SC and I love it for winter months. I also wore my beige linen suit jacket as a SC with jeans and it looked good.

3. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I forgot, I do have a solid gray corduroy. It's my "sportcoat with jeans" jacket since it's kinda worn in now.

4. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

I've got a couple of solid grey jackets that get a lot of wear at the moment.

I used to only wear navy solids but now trying to break out of that habit.

[​IMG]

With solids - I usually prefer something with a bit more texture rather than something made with super 120s for example.

[​IMG]

5. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

6. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have a few solid sportcoats. I think they work best when textured rather than worsted (unless they actually have a faint pattern, eg a faint windowpane or something like that).

Mine:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Plus, two more grey jackets below that I'll be selling at some point over the next few months, as I have a replacement bespoke suit en route (in mid-grey herringbone that looks mottled-ish from afar, from Porter & Hardings Glenroyal book), whose jacket I intend to use as a separate as often as I wear the suit as an ensemble.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Love both of these. HF - that reminds me of a grey sweater jacket I have being altered at the mo.

I tend to only wear worsted wool solids if they have patch pockets otherwise I feel they look too formal / orphaned.

8. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

Very, very dark brown worn with light grey or stone colored trouser and vicuna/carmel brown with charcoal or light tan trouser. Blue shirts with both.

9. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I like them. I have a dark brown cotton and a dark brown cotton/wool herringbone I wear a lot. And a tan (not sure about the colour name) linen/wool/silk blend.

10. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I basically only wear solid sportcoats (and suits). For some reason, I feel a bit self-conscious in a bold jacket - especially if I were to wear it more than once every couple of weeks. I like sportcoats which I can just throw on without thinking too hard about coordination or whether I've worn it recently.

For tweeds, I much prefer lighter shades in a coarse herringbone. P&H Thornproof and Harrisons Moonbeam have good ones. I like light brown/white, light grey/white, or grey/white. I've been trying to find a light brown/white houndstooth for quite some time (iammatt has an amazing one) but haven't seen it in any book. Personally dark brown/dark grey sportcoats seem a little grim to me for a casual garment, but I have a dark complexion and dark hair so ymmv.

Don't forget cord jackets - british tan and bottle green make beautiful solid sportcoats.

For summer, I like linens with a grey cast, like a faded navy or a faded tan.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks for reminding me I should get a camel for fall. I have in solids - navy, charcoal, pale pink, and pale blue (both linen). I am absolutely lusting a nantucket red in a summer fabric.

On a side note, I want to DTO this whole thing.

[​IMG]

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

I like the mid grey herringbone in your second picture and I recently saw a brown Magee donegal herringbone I liked, but I don't remember where.

If not the same, it looked something like the brown one in the second pic here: http://asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com/2009/11/tweed-shopping.html (how do you make clikcable links now?!?)

Though that one might be too close to your tweed suit? Do you ever wear the coat from that as a seperate?

13. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

Great post. I agree on the preference for plains. All my stuff is plain: navy fresco, dark gray fresco, light blue chambray, light olive cotton twill, faded navy linen, dark brown velvet (Worn w/ pants that Despos suggests above, and w/ jeans), dark gray herringbone, mid gray herringbone, and red/tan/black large barleycorn. A light gray fresco and mid brown herringbone should arrive in a couple days. I don't have any large-patterned sportcoats. But I would like a bold check in a summer and a winter fabric though.

14. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

From memory.

I have

A couple Ivory(off white)
    Cord in rust and a dark olive green
    Some summery colours. in addition

But even my windowpanes aren't the sort that hit you in the face. The average person from a distance is going to think blue and miss the pattern. You don't need a used car salesmen bold pattern or something that looks like a 70s basement sofa.

15. Maccimus

Maccimus Senior member

I would go to cotton or linen.