Solid Navy Zegna Suit, Conservative?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by slaavwmr, Feb 1, 2005.

1. slaavwmr

slaavwmr Senior member

Do you think wearing a Zegna is automatically not an a conservative suit? Would it be ok for a job interview( Accounting/Finance/Law).

Also, Is it a no-no to wear a Zegna suit with an HK shirt and Alden shoes?

2. bigbadbuff

bigbadbuff Senior member

Hmmm [​IMG] I would think Zegna is certainly one of the more conservative brands, and would guess that their clientele is largely businessmen. And I don't know why in the world you would think the brands of an outfit matter when putting it together- no offense.

3. Brian SD

Brian SD Moderator

no, yes, nope. youre good to go.

4. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

My guess is that the question was geared toward the propriety of wearing a sleek Italian suit (although Zegna is actually rather boxy) with not-so-sleek American shoes. Â I have often pondered whether my pairing of AE wingtips with a Corneliani suit was appropriate. Â This, of course, is not something a normal person (i.e., someone who does not frequent this forum) would even think of.

5. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Senior member

It depends on the Zegna in question. Some are boxy, some are more sleek. Some in between. I personally think you are fine, and that the sleekness of the shoe should correspond more to the fabric of the suit and the occassion rather than the cut. Though a sleeker should is almost mandatory is the ankle width of the suit is less than 17.5" wide.

6. slaavwmr

slaavwmr Senior member

(bigbadbuff @ Feb. 01 2005,18:22) And I don't know why in the world you would think the brands of an outfit matter when putting it together- no offense.
    My guess is that the question was geared toward the propriety of wearing a sleek Italian suit (although Zegna is actually rather boxy) with not-so-sleek American shoes. Â I have often pondered whether my pairing of AE wingtips with a Corneliani suit was appropriate. Â This, of course, is not something a normal person (i.e., someone who does not frequent this forum) would even think of.
    Ambulance chaser - Thank you for your undestanding my point about the suit v. shoes. I know people on this forum think Zegna is conservative but In the USA I would venture to say a suit like Zegna, which I think is pretty fitted, is not so conservative. I guess its just me, who thinks Canali is very fitting.