• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solid Dress Shirt Color...

Jay687

Reaction score
I'm getting some custom shirts and need opinions on solid colors.

I already have an ecru and light blue. I wanted to go with white and light pink for sure.

I wasn't sure what to go with for another solid color. I'm not a fan of getting multiple of the same color. I'd much rather exhaust some variety first.

The only solid color that came to mind was lavender. What do you guys think? If not that, I guess my other option was to go with some checks, probably blue checks. But thinking lavender could be a good choice, a bit unique, but hopefully not too weird.

Opinions?

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you need several shades of light blue. Some may be with faint thin stripes that look like solids from afar. Also, color is not the only variety you can have in a shirt. You might need french vs. barrel cuffs, button-down collars, different collar shapes, etc. My advice is to focus on several light blue shirts before anything else. No matter what you do, even if you feel like getting all colors of the rainbow shirts, with time you will use light blue the most since they allow you the most creativity when selecting suits, ties, pockets squares and other accessories.

Pieceofsand

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
with time you will use light blue the most since they allow you the most creativity when selecting suits, ties, pockets squares and other accessories.

Very useful information. More please.

phxlawstudent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like lavender, but realize its not considered the most manly of colors. Don't own more than one lavender shirt, and its really closer to a light blue.

That said, why can't you have more than one shirt of the same color? Why not ten? The possibilities are endless when you throw in different weaves. Dobby, Royal Oxford, Broadcloth, Pinpoint, herringbone (wide, narrow, medium), twill, etc.

Add to that very faint stripes, and you can have hundreds of different types of fabric. Checks will add even more possibilities.

Jay687

Reaction score
Thanks for advice guys. Well, I would never go with more than these 5 shirts for solid colors. I really think the last thing I'd do is bother with different weaves, as it's too subtle for me to really feel it's worth it spending the money. I'd have to have exhausted checks and stripes first....

But I guess I could perhaps just go with the blue checks (more of a fan of checks than stripes). Do you guys recommend a specific check style? i.e. big vs. small checks made up of thin vs. thick lines.

Also, regarding patterns like checks and stripes, would you say the more noticeable the pattern, the more informal, and button down collar would become more appropriate than spread? I'm a fan of spread collar, but want to have the pattern and collar style to go together.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pieceofsand
Very useful information. More please.

Well, that's just my opinion and my experience. White is often too formal and too contrasting. Light blue is the next most neutral color that goes well with everything. Therefore your blue shirts become canvasses on which you can "paint" anything you desire. Basically, blue shirts allow you to choose any tie/ps/sweater/vest/pant combination while also flattering almost any complexion.

Yorsch

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jay687
I'm getting some custom shirts and need opinions on solid colors. I already have an ecru and light blue. I wanted to go with white and light pink for sure. I wasn't sure what to go with for another solid color. I'm not a fan of getting multiple of the same color. I'd much rather exhaust some variety first. The only solid color that came to mind was lavender. What do you guys think? If not that, I guess my other option was to go with some checks, probably blue checks. But thinking lavender could be a good choice, a bit unique, but hopefully not too weird. Opinions?
I think it also depends on you skin complexion. Just have to admit certain colours on some people look better than others. E.G. on some people baby pinks and lavenders wash them out as it to close to skin tone. Don't really know what's your skin complexion, but White and blues are always good. As about the other colours I suggest putting the colours under the neck, checking in a mirror how it looks.
Originally Posted by acecow
Well, that's just my opinion and my experience. White is often too formal and too contrasting. Light blue is the next most neutral color that goes well with everything. Therefore your blue shirts become canvasses on which you can "paint" anything you desire. Basically, blue shirts allow you to choose any tie/ps/sweater/vest/pant combination while also flattering almost any complexion.
Couldn't agree any more!!!

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Personally, I'm thinking a basic shirt collection should consist of about eight dozen white shirts and a really big jug o'starch. But forgetting that for the moment, as most of you perhaps wisely will, how come no pale yellow, pale green (note the word pale)?

Green Lantern

Reaction score
Everything said is great stuff. Did anyone offer a plum, violet, pale purple? When I offer these colors, I am only referring to the palest, faintest shades of each. But, they can really make a unusual canvas for a kickin' tie. I am a person who favors a strong coat or tie with a soft shirt. Shirts frame the face and shouldn't be harsh. IMHO

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
I really think the last thing I'd do is bother with different weaves, as it's too subtle for me to really feel it's worth it spending the money.

Your money, your choice. But not necessarily an enlightened one.

Jay687

Reaction score
Thanks for more replies.

I agree, that choice might not be enlightened, but I just enjoy checks and other colors before different weaves. Ultimately, don't have the money for lots of shirts, otherwise, all for different weaves too... just not first choice.

Pale purples... that's what I was going for with the lavender. Just a pale purple. There is one fabric swatch that is pretty good. It's lavender pinpoint (white and purple threads, together creating a lighter shade). I think purple goes fairly well with my skin tone... so it's another reason I was thinking about it.

Someone mentioned pale yellow... never thought I looked good in yellow. The ecru is an off-white and I like that, but not sure about yellow. And pale green could be okay, unfortunately no swatches of a nice shade of that.

For now, I think it's between lavender... and some sort of blue check (either thin lines and medium size checks or thicker lines and small checks).

Not sure though.

Matt S

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
Your money, your choice. But not necessarily an enlightened one.

I agree. Solid blue and ecru shirts get the most use in my closet. Those obscure colours aren't going to be worn nearly as much. I have about 6 or 7 number of solid blue poplin shirts and I wouldn't give those up for a larger variety. I have shirts in pale blue poplin, sky blue poplin, french blue poplin, blue and white end-on-end and blue and white herringbone. All can be considered solid blue shirts but they are all different to me and I wear them differently. I find that other colours such as pink or lilac look best in end-on-end rather than straight up solid.

Yorsch

Reaction score
I think purple goes fairly well with my skin tone... so it's another reason I was thinking about it.

If that's the case, then go ahead.
Purple is very good choice.

Peak and Pine

Reaction score
Building on what Ace and Matt have said, you get yourself a mess of blue shirts in different weaves, weights and collars and you can paste those into just about any outfit you can dream up. With the other colors you're leaning toward, it may take a bit of artistry with the match-up and since the word artistry is now mentioned and even tho it's me who's mentioned it, I'm outa here.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Peak and Pine
Building on what Ace and Matt have said, you get yourself a mess of blue shirts in different weaves, weights and collars and you can paste those into just about any outfit you can dream up. With the other colors you're leaning toward, it may take a bit of artistry with the match-up and since the word artistry is now mentioned and even tho it's me who's mentioned it, I'm outa here.

That's a slight exaggeration. I have many shirts, from red gingham to purple stripes. But out of 30 or so shirts I own, 10 are blue, out of which ~6 are or appear solid at a distance. I can't afford the time to launder a blue shirt every night in case I need it the next day.
smile.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads