• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soles Splitting?

mrpo0nani

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first time noticing this issue but my Aldens have been splitting. resole.jpg

The split line runs down both sides but when I try and move it it's not budging. I've had the shoes for a few years now with maybe 2 years of casual wear. Is this something I can use shoe gloo on or is it time for a resole?

I've never done either of those 2 things so I've come to you all for guidance.

Thanks for your time.

mrpo0nani

Reaction score
If I go get these resoled can the cobbler do different types of colors? Sorry I don’t know how exactly to ask this question.
The shoes have “antique edging” and I wanted to recreate that.

mrpo0nani

Reaction score
Special thanks to @DFWII for the assistance in PMs.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
To answer your original question the reason your soles appear to be splitting is that there is an outsole of leather and a midsole of what appears to be leatherboard (like particle board except made of leather scraps and grindings). The leatherboard is delaminating and the cement that bonded the storm welt (what appears in the photo as an upper layer) to the midsole, adheres only to the surface layer of the leatherboard and with use breaks away.

And yes, you need a resole. During that resole the midsole can sometimes be re-bonded (although the delamination can happen all over again) or be replaced with leather (which will solve the problem more or less permanently.

A repair can often change the coulour of the edge dressing...if they'll do it. Depends on the shop.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So it's just my specific shoe that has a leatherboard midsole?

No, I'm not saying that. That wouldn't make sense. I was responding to this:
"the reason your soles appear to be splitting is that there is an outsole of leather and a midsole of what appears to be leatherboard"
The word "appears" is significant. The mid-sole can appear to be leatherboard. It can also appear to be all leather. I can't tell from your picture. I don't know how anybody can. I'll say with certainty though, the picture of the shoe I sent (the one that we were working on today) had a leather mid-sole. The picture shows it.

mrpo0nani

Reaction score
No, I'm not saying that. That wouldn't make sense. I was responding to this:
"the reason your soles appear to be splitting is that there is an outsole of leather and a midsole of what appears to be leatherboard"
The word "appears" is significant. The mid-sole can appear to be leatherboard. It can also appear to be all leather. I can't tell from your picture. I don't know how anybody can. I'll say with certainty though, the picture of the shoe I sent (the one that we were working on today) had a leather mid-sole. The picture shows it.

Well I certainly don’t know as well as you guys. I do appreciate the reply though and I think that I will be sending them in probably to your shop to get resoled. I’m afraid of taking them to a local cobbler as nobody has stated explicitly that they work with men’s shoes. Seems like a lot of work on Louboutins and the like.

Stefan88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This happens from time to time with most brands, and is generally an easy fix for a decent cobbler.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Alden will reconstruct your shoes at the factory and if there was a defect, they would probably comp you.

http://www.aldenshoe.com/DrawOnePage.aspx?PageID=12

That's not a defect. It happens from time to time especially if one's gait is prone to dragging the toe. Even though the sole is lock-stitched, if enough consecutive stitches wear out, cement is not enough to hold the sole in place. This is more common on double soled shoes because they are not as flexible as a single soled shoe. It's quite possible that the entire sole does not need to be replaced. If the body of the sole is still firm, a competent cobbler can replace just the tips with a new leather toe piece. Factories would rather just replace the entire sole and mid-sole even though it may not be necessary...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads