Sole Welting

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Quarantanove, Apr 19, 2012.

1. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

It's not purely a matter of personal economics for me. I have both hand-welted and GYW shoes. Some of the latter are more costly than some of the former. For me, there is more to my enjoyment, appreciation and assessment of quality of a pair of shoes than just the welt. And several decades of enjoyment of a pair of shoes before a (reparable) failure is not going to cause me to lose any sleep.

For some, the welt is a singular defining criterion which separates the worthy from the unworthy (hence we have claims that little separates a $100 GYW shoe from a $1000 GYW shoe, and suchlike). I don't see it that way. I believe there is a significant difference. Just as I believe there is a significant difference between a $300 hand welted shoe and a $3,000 hand welted shoe.

But I also haven't made it my life's ambition to convince everyone to see it my way, either. Plenty of room for differing views, differing voices - not to mention differing priorities - at the great shoe table.

2. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Given your experience in this regard, I am inclined to place significant weight upon your observations.

3. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

The staples could very well be the culprit although I would tend to doubt it--they must have that procedure pretty well dialed-in by now. It's not like it's going to change with every style of shoe...although if they have a new operator--staple gunner.

That said, the stitching is a chain stitch--that's one of the weaknesses of the GY process. Stitching, gemming, staples--it's really all of a piece--if it's not gemming failure, it's stitching failure; if it's not stitching failure, it's something else. No matter how you cut it, it's dern sure a failure of the GY technique.

I suspect that's the point you were making all along.

4. Nick V.

Nick V. Senior member Dubiously Honored

No need to "suspect". I think I've been clear and consistent from the beginning.
    When we replace a welt we do it by hand and lock-stitched. I understand that as well.

5. DWFII

Wait...sorry, I'm missing something here...I was responding to MWS.

??

6. Nick V.

Oops...My bad. Apologies.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Nick, speaking of this, since you replace the welt by hand, are you able to reuse the original holes in the upper, thus extending the number of potential resoles that a Goodyear-welted shoe can handle? My main beef with factory recrafting is the automatic replacement of the welt, which shortens the overall lifespan of a shoe due to the destruction of the uppers at the inseam.

8. Nick V.

Yes, that's what they do. The holes are already there and are pretty much used as a guide. Holes are bored through the welt for correct alignment. Sometimes if we see a weakness we patch (support it) in the same area that the holes we in.

9. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Fantastic, thanks for the info!

10. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Great info.

11. DWFII

Nick,

Just curious...under what circumstances would you not use the original holes if you were just replacing welt (not patching the upper)?

Under what circumstances...not having access to a GY inseaming machine and consequently having to do it by hand...would you not use a lockstitch when replacing welt?

Sorry if the question seems to come out of left field but the situation just seems so straight-forward and commonsensical, it gave me pause....

--

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

12. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

hahaha, good questions :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014

13. DWFII

Hey Fishball,

Haven't heard from you in a while. How are your bespoke shoemaking "studies" coming along?

14. Nick V.

I simply answered the question that was asked of me.
    Welting machines are expensive and beyond that they very hard to come by. A few years ago I was able to find one in excellent condition. Before I pulled the trigger I talked over with the guys in the shop. They didn't want it....

15. Fishball

Fishball Senior member

Too busy for my "day job," no time to really start a new pair. But will see, may be I will start it again in summer! :)