• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sole Split

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saw this on Will's ASW blog.

Incidentally I have similar problem on one of my hand grade C&J at around the inside waist area.

What causes this and whats a good solution to remedy this problem?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell from the angle of the photo but my guess is it is a thin finishing layer of leather that was applied to the sole to hide the stitching. I used to have a pair of Fratelli Rosetti that had this feature and problem. Aside from some glue to slow it down there isn't much one can do to prevent it from happening. A complete resole would be the only final solution. Would like to see what G&G owners say about this photo or their own experiences.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As MOL said, it is hard to tell from the photo. But I have even money that what you are seeing is the edge of the horizontal channel that was cut in the outsole to hide and protect the stitching.

A closer look would confirm...or not...but sometimes that channel is cut with a machine that leaves it relatively thin...it's essentially little more than a 'flap.' And because it is cut horizontally--parallel to the surface of the outsole, IOW--the glue that holds it shut gets wet faster, the thin layer wears through faster and you end up with this ragged look.

On shoes with hand-cut channels the channel itself is cut at an angle. This doesn't entirely prevent the channel opening but as it opens it tends to wear away only at the very extreme edge and at the same rate as the outsole itself. Also the edge gets thicker and heavier as it is worn away.

A better, more water resistant glue or cement is almost a must for these channels. For example, even though such glues were not known historically, waterproof PVA's are available that would seal and eliminate the problem altogether.

But of course they are much more expensive than starch or hide based glues.

Last edited:

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I noticed a milder version of this with a pair of Zegna Couture shoes just last week. Noticed it after wearing them in very wet weather and then as they dried out, a small split occured above the channeled bit of the sole. Seems to be self-limiting though, but I guess the proof will be in the pudding when I next wear them.

*shrug* I guess these things happen once in a blue moon.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A better, more water resistant glue or cement is almost a must for these channels. For example, even though such glues were not known historically, waterproof PVA's are available that would seal and eliminate the problem altogether.

But of course they are much more expensive than starch or hide based glues.

So would a waterproof PVA be able to slow down the process? How accessible are those glues from hardware stores like home depot?

This is a strong case of using overshoes...

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So would a waterproof PVA be able to slow down the process? How accessible are those glues from hardware stores like home depot?

This is a strong case of using overshoes...
Yes, TiteBond III (?) is an example of a waterproof PVA if you are looking in the hardware store. Like all glues the bond must be pressed for a time and allowed to dry and cure thoroughly. If you can find a contact cement such as Barge (comes in small inexpensive tubes) or even something for adhering formica to wooden countertops, that too will work, although it's probably not as permanent a solution as the TiteBond. On the other hand you don't have to hold the pieces together--just allow to dry for a small amount of time, press together and hammer. Follow the directions on the tube, IOW.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads