• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sole of shoe worn out after 20min walk...what went wrong? (pics inside)

ohm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by adambparker
In my experience, the toes wear down quickly at first (like yours did), but stop after a couple wearings and stay pretty stable.

But if you want taps, why would you not put them on right away?

+1 same here.

Wes Bourne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience, the toes wear down quickly at first (like yours did), but stop after a couple wearings and stay pretty stable.

+1 That has been my experience as well, though the effect is more pronounced on certain shoes than others. In my case, I believe it results from a combination of things:

1- I have a rather long gait and I tend to push off the toes of my trailing foot when walking briskly.
2- Shoes that I've worn a few times inside before taking them to the pavement for the first time barely show any subsequent wear to the tips. Maybe that slow break in allowed a bend to form at the ball area where the most wear naturally occurs?
3- Just to be safe, I've started adding metal toe taps to most of my shoes.
4- I've also stopped moonwalking.
smile.gif

StylingUK

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Wes Bourne
1- I have a rather long gait and I tend to push off the toes of my trailing foot when walking briskly.

I was walking very briskly today so that probably made it worse. I wasn't kicking my toe but was pushing hard on the toe of my trailing foot. I learned quite a bit today...thanks everyone!

Next time, I'll wear my new shoes indoors first and see if there are any differences. And I'll pop down to the store for some edge dressing tomorrow. Cheers everyone!

factorial

Reaction score
You walk wrong, get to a doctor immediately for corrective surgery.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
It's more conspicuous at first because there's less wear to the rest of the sole. Give 'em a few more wears and the rest of the sole will catch up, more or less.

+1. I was concerned the first time I noticed this on some decent leather sole shoes (AE's coincidentally), but then just kind of just forgot about it soon after.

KObalto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
i cant really see as it is not too clear, but isnt that wear just the black edge dressing that wore off not the sole leather?
Yes, just put a little edge dressing on them.

Skanstull

Reaction score
I also wear the tips down quite fast, and my cobbler tells me it's because I walk fast (and push away with the tip of the shoe).

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get taps on all my shoes but edge dressing couldn't hurt either.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For me it is normal, too. Mine wear out the same way. Up to now I use edge dressing. But further on I will try tabs on one or two pairs.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
I will go out on a limb here and say these are the heaviest shoes you have worn recently. I bought some double-soled english monsters and I toe strike a lot as I adjust the the weight of the shoe.

Michael Ay329

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
zjp is right on both of his posts

I'm retrofitting my one G&G and one EG shoe with toe caps now that I have a G&G boot with the steel tap and it protects the shoe very well

Chouse

Reaction score

+ 1 ... that's my experience as well.

One thing though: I have a few pairs with rather worn tips (but otherwise good soles)... is it still possible to put on taps at this stage or is it too late??

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads