• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solaro suit : original or not?

lorcar

Reaction score
I have almost decided to pull the trigger on a bespoke solaro suit. The only thing I am undecided yet if I should go the original Solaro, which is terrific but heavy and for sure not a summer fabric here in Italy, it choose a different brand like Piana/Zegna /Caccioppoli which have lighter solaro fabric. However I am unsure how the latter wood look in terms of final effect. I mean, the main reason for buying a solaro is the sunlight plays and reflective characteristics. How would these differ in a Zegna cloth vs the original?
Or should I simply not care and get the original Smith Wollens?
Any hint is appreciated
Thanks

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had your same dilemma and went with the Original Smith in twill rather than herringbone. I’m happy that I did so. My tailor in Naples was very happy with how the suiting performed and is now recommending it over the lighter weight Solaros made by others.
P.S. While not light weight, the Smith does not wear warm. I wear mine in 30 degree heat without any trouble but I am pretty oblivious to heat or cold.

lorcar

Reaction score
thanks
not sure i understand what you mean by "twill", i know there are 4 different "designs", 2 are herringbone. But i'd guess they perfom all the same?
here a pic
https://goo.gl/sg9ZNp
https://goo.gl/gqmWHM

i have tried an original SOlaro, and really dont see myself wearing it in Milan 30 celsius degrees...

have you had the chance to try/see Zegna/Caccioppoli?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I have the 2577 which I now remember is a plain weave rather than a twill. As I’m sure you know, it is 11-12 oz so not summer weight but not particularly heavy either.
My Naples tailor uses a fair amount of Caccioppoli and we looked at that Solaro. My commission was his first use of Smith and I think that he now recommends that over other Solaros. In my opinion, the others lack the reflective property that makes a Solaro a Solaro.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! I’d never seen that Smith green Solaro that you posted. Looks very interesting. Have you seen that live?

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, the green Solaro is very tempting!

To answer the question, stick with the original Smith's Woolens. It makes up extremely well and does not wear hot - even in Italy.

lorcar

Reaction score
How can it be not hot, since its weight is above 300 grams? Usually a winter suit is 270 grams, isn't?

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How can it be not hot, since its weight is above 300 grams? Usually a winter suit is 270 grams, isn't?
As I mentioned, I’m not very sensitive to heat or cold. And I live where summer highs average around 30 while winter highs average around 0.

And to add another variable to the equation, the porosity of the fabric makes a difference. For example, the London Lounge Brisa is 13 ounces yet many persons wear it as summer suiting based on porosity. As for me, I wear Rangoon and Minnis Frescos in summer. They are 8/9 and 9/10 ounces respectively. I also wear London Lounge linen but that’s a different matter. So, yes, the Solaro is heavier than anything else I wear in summer but I don’t have much trouble with it.

As for winter, I wear heavier flannel and some Lesser 16oz. I have no winter suiting in 270g (9 Oz) nor could I ever imagine anything that light working for my winters.

13 ounce would be a good shoulder season weight for me.

But the true answer is that the weight is completely subjective to your temperature sensitivity. If 11-12 is too heavy for your summer, then it is too heavy regardless of how I feel in it.

Last edited:

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brax makes a good point about sensitivity. I have to admit that I can find an 8oz to warm in the depths of winter but for me, 10/11oz is certainly a good year round weight! To compound that a decent collapsible umbrella is a far more versatile object to own than an overcoat as I scarce wear one.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A wayward thought; I could well see the green Solaro making a nice sports coat for some. Not everyone could carry it off but tempting.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads