• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Solaro sportcoat?

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
I'm considering making a Solaro sportcoat. (No plans for making a Solaro suit).

However, 99% of the pictures I see of Solaro tailoring online are of Solaro suits.

Is there a particular reason why Solaro odd jackets seem to be rare?

Has anyone owned a Solaro sportcoat? Do you think it would be odd to wear a Solaro sportcoat on its own?

Thanks.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because Solaro is a suiting cloth. You can wear it as an odd jacket without looking very bad in the same way you can wear a Thornproof suit jacket as an odd jacket.

Not easy.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have three Solaro. All suits. Would never try it as an odd jacket.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Initially, I thought that a whole Solaro suit would be too much, so I had a sport coat made in an olive Solaro-like cloth. I wear it with chinos in the summertime. The color looked a little bit like this: solaro cloth green - Bing images.
I think I would have a hard time matching the more traditional Solaro odd jacket with trousers.

Bic

Last edited:

Angel91

Reaction score
I have a Solaro shirt jacket made by a tailor in Rome and it’s quite easy to wear. It has a green hue tho.
I once tried a Solaro sport coat,”original colour” at a tailor I know and it seemed ok… I didn’t get it because I had your same fear, but I think you can probably wear it with denim and more formal materials as long as you keep the details casual: patch pockets, etc

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Contrarily I have a pair of odd solaro trousers (Loro Piana fabric, MTM by Rota). I wear them with a birdseye DB navy blazer or, sometimes, with a gray chalk stripe DB in tropical wool. Sounds weird but it works. Never considered an odd solaro jacket but I’m not opposed.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solaro is a classic suiting fabric, but I can figure wearing an odd jacket with dark brown, rust or cream linen or worsted wool trousers.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads