• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Software for kids?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am giving my 6 year old his first computer ( a mac) and I want to load it up with some fun but educational software. Any recommendations?

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^i don't have much for the mac, but the pc has some. i'll look in a bit and post some names.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thekunk07
^i don't have much for the mac, but the pc has some. i'll look in a bit and post some names.

Thanks...I would appreciate that. There are so many available it would be nice to hear a personal recommendation.

Originally Posted by xchen
Fear
Huh?

xchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't think he'll like Fear then Far Cry seems like a good starting off point.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dude, just give them a 486 and a bunch of sierra games. Thank me later!

shellshock

Forum Mascot
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

+1000

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek

Thank you? You think I want my kid to turn out like you. Should I buy him some Dungeons and Dragons gear as well?

I am kidding!

I am basically giving him an old 486...it is an old iMac that I grabbed from the office after we upgraded.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Thank you? You think I want my kid to turn out like you. Should I buy him some Dungeons and Dragons gear as well?

I am kidding!

I am basically giving him an old 486...it is an old iMac that I grabbed from the office after we upgraded.

Be sure to give the little tyke something with a web browser and a speedy Internet connection so that he can check out the Asian Girls appreciation thread. Need to start 'em early....

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter

I am kidding!

For the record, I never role-played or dressed like a D&D freak.

Jekyll

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
51EEX7ZG9RL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

411E96YJ3SL._SL500_AA225_.jpg

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For a six-year-old, I'd buy him a webkinz ($8-$15) and let him go to town on http://webkinz.com

He can play for a year on just the purchase of the stuffed animal, and they have dozens of games in a pretty closed environment.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dewey
For a six-year-old, I'd buy him a webkinz ($8-$15) and let him go to town on http://webkinz.com He can play for a year on just the purchase of the stuffed animal, and they have dozens of games in a pretty closed environment.
I wouldn't. I don't think the games are very intellectually stimulating. Plus, the whole premise is that the kids compete to get virtual money so they can "buy" worthless ****, and then compete with their friends to see who has the most useless ****. They'll learn that soon enough without encouraging it through something like webkinz. If you're going to go that route -- and there are a variety of similar sites -- I've found Club Penguin to be marginally less lame. The Apple Store carries a series called the "Mia's Big Adventure Collection", which are focused on reading development. My daughter enjoyed a couple of those. She also played a Math Blaster (I don't recall the exact name) game we got at the Apple Store for quite a while, too. There are also some good art-oriented programs -- drawing, "painting", etc.

ratboycom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My little brother loved the Putt Putt and Freddy Fish games when they came out. Personally, I was a big fan of the TLC Super Solvers games, but that was in the 486 days
FREDDY_FISH_3_CASE_OF_THE_STOLEN_CONCH.jpg
super_solvers_gizmos_gadgets_thumb.jpg
I fuckin loved this game, you have to figure out science and math problems to open doors. You basically do that and walk around a factory looking for parts to build cars and planes and stuff. The goal being to build the fastest in the class that you are building then win a race.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads