Softening Leather Shoes

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sartorially Challenged, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Sartorially Challenged

Sartorially Challenged Senior member

I regret not having returned two pairs of Charles Tyrwhitt shoes I purchased earlier (albeit at $85 a pair), but now that I have them, I wear them occasionally in any case.

But I find that they are very rigid, much more so than what I am used to (mostly Italian, softer leather). Is there anyway I can soften the calf leather of the CT shoes?

Hurting longevity is not an issues since I don't intend to wear them a long time -- I just want them to be more comfortable, especially around the ankle bone.

Appreciate any advice.

2. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

I would just take short walks in them, or wear them around the house. When the sole starts to give, they might become much more comfortable.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Have you tried generous doses of leather conditioner? Don't know how much difference it would make, but it can't hurt.

4. epa

epa Senior member

I had a pair of really "hard" shoes (George's, I think it is a local Spanish brand, sold by El Corte InglÃ[​IMG]s) and to soften them I used them at home, walking in them for a while with wet socks. They ended up being my most comfortable shoes. I actually have them on today. They are really worn out by now, but they are so comfortable that I am reluctant to throw them away.
    I guess that this wet socks treatment may sound rather harsh, and some SF members may get hickups from reading this post...(if so, I apologise). Maybe it is not something that should be done to more high-end shoes...l

5. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

I agree with epa. Getting the shoes wet and walking around in them is the best way to break them in and make them more comfortable.

6. Charley

Charley Senior member

Use Lexol on them. Often. It won't work if they are the corrected grain shoes. The plastic on the surface won't let the conditioner get into the leather. I don't believe these are of that type though. Lexol is better than water. Much better.