• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soft, waterproof hat

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like umbrellas, but a lot of the time carrying one is not practical. And especially when wearing my trenchcoat I just like adding a water-resistant hat to brave the elements. I've got a crushable Borsalino travel fedora, a navy beret basque (also Borsalino), and a waxed canvas barbour cap (the latter two are not v. good in the rain as they obviously have no brim). I also used to have a thick cotton soft hat I bought in Seattle ages ago, but I think I've lost it on a train. I'm not too keen on the Barbour soft brimmed hats, and the Filson hats remind me too much of Indiana Jones. Any alternatives? I'd like the hat to be foldable and pocketable, but not too old-mannish. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A traditional fur felt fedora is your best bet in terms of rain resistance- the felt is pretty hardy stuff, and won't shrink like wool will (it will taper a little bit, but just once and then it'll stay put).

Pocketable they won't be though.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Reaction score
I think Travelsmith carries a Goretex bucket hat that might work for you.

- B

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cptjeff
A traditional fur felt fedora is your best bet in terms of rain resistance- the felt is pretty hardy stuff, and won't shrink like wool will (it will taper a little bit, but just once and then it'll stay put).

Pocketable they won't be though.

My Borsalino is a fur felt fedora, and it's almost pocketable (crushable, really regains its shape quickly). But I want something more casual.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More casual than a fedora, but still with a good enough brim to keep out the rain? I don't see a lot of good options. Avoid situations where a fedora is too dressy.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
It seems to me that you've created criteria that are impossible to meet. A felt fedora really would be your best bet, and while you say you want something more casual, a trenchcoat is fairly formal (I assume you mean a true trench--db with belt--or do you mean a single breasted rain shell/balmacaan?).

What about a tweed bucket hat?

Or just carry an umbrella.

emptym

Reaction score
I'm a fan of bucket hats. I have a nice reversible one: water-resistant nylon on one side (hasn't ever leaked), corduroy on the other.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
It seems to me that you've created criteria that are impossible to meet. A felt fedora really would be your best bet, and while you say you want something more casual, a trenchcoat is fairly formal (I assume you mean a true trench--db with belt--or do you mean a single breasted rain shell/balmacaan?).

What about a tweed bucket hat?

Or just carry an umbrella.

Yes, DB Grenfell trench -- I think it's wearable with anything from denim all the way to black tie. Tweed bucket might be the way to go -- looking for one that isn't too geriatric. The Tilley tweed one seems a bit stiff. This one maybe, but it seems out of stock: http://www.kaboodle.com/reviews/scot...-with-gore-tex

Might just pop into Lock next time I'm in St James or thereabouts.

Pantisocrat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know what they are called but I own these German hunting hats with fancy ostrich feathers on the side and ropes wrapped around the base. The brim is substantially narrower than your average fedora. These are warm, light, and incredibly waterproof. It's made from some velvety material which I think could be felt.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pantisocrat
I don't know what they are called but I own these German hunting hats with fancy ostrich feathers on the side and ropes wrapped around the base. The brim is substantially narrower than your average fedora. These are warm, light, and incredibly waterproof. It's made from some velvety material which I think could be felt.

I know the ones you mean -- I'm from South Tyrol, my father owns loden hats and also one of the kind you describe. But I find most designs a bit geriatric (I'm 29).

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.