• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soft-tailoring question - does unstructured shoulders/chest mean no canvas?

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does unstructured shoulders/chest mean no canvassing throughout or are they unrelated?

What exactly is it that gives Isaia and the like that soft unstructured feel throughout the jacket? Trying to explain to my HK tailor how to make adjustments.

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by theyare
Trying to explain to my HK tailor how to make adjustments.

If the tailor needs instruction from you on how to do soft-tailoring, then getting him to do it is unlikely to produce a desirable result.

aj_del

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ agree except that on the first try, it is highly unlikely that you wil get what you were looking for.

Anyways unstructured jackets are overrated IMO and a thing which RTW companies do better

Martin Stall

Reaction score
While I have no experience with asian tailoring, I do have an inordinate amount of experience with tailoring since I'm a tailor. As such, I can tell you that the modern and very fashionable concept of soft tailoring is a clever and very functional marketing stratagem.

Since clothiers have moved from making sturdy twills to super 100's any tailor who makes a stiff, or structured, coat out of modern lightweight cloths, should be barred from the profession.

No one is though, which proves my point. A tailor will know what combination of canvasses to use for each type of cloth. He will also decide on the type of padding and make up that complement the cloth.

As for telling your tailor how to make your suit, that is a risky affair, to say the least. Do not, under any circumstance, push your tailor out of his comfort zone. If you do, your money is lost and your suit will remain unworn. If you feel you have to persuade him and instruct him, it's not likely to end well. If however he reacts: "It's not how it should be done, but I can do it if you so desire" you might have a good one on your hands.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
What exactly is it that gives Isaia and the like that soft unstructured feel throughout the jacket? Trying to explain to my HK tailor how to make adjustments.

Why not just buy an Isaia?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Martin Stall
As for telling your tailor how to make your suit, that is a risky affair, to say the least. Do not, under any circumstance, push your tailor out of his comfort zone.

Apparently, despite all indications to the contrary, this axiom does not apply within tha geographical boundaries of Hong Hong.

TonyThe Tailor

Reaction score
I do have some Isaia's, but it's tough to handle the $3k + or more price tag for exactly what I want

true!

When I make a "soft jacket" i usually make shoulder pads from the canvas just to give the shoulders some support

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads