Soft leather, trees and wrinkles

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by alchimiste, Jul 5, 2005.

1. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

When I remove the shoe trees from my Gravatis the tension on the leather drops and wrinkles tend to appear. Did anybody have a similar problem?

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is perfectly natural, if you mean what I think you mean. Leather will crease with wear; there's simply no way around it. All you can do is try to keep the leather supple with proper shoe care.

3. demeis

demeis Senior member

Agree with doc, happened to both my grensons, my harris, and martegani's, well the pretty much all my decent dress shoes so i hope this is natural.

4. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

I don't. I mean wrinkling on a small length scale, not creases at flex point. Take a rubber band, pull on it a bit and add a coat of wax or paint of whatever, then let go. The coating will crack or buckle. This is about what happens to my shoes.

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I figured my answer was too obvious, so I hope it didn't offend. I've never heard of your problem. What I find odd is that the shoe trees cause the wrinkles to disappear. I have some lightweight Italian shoes that develop fine lines all over with wear, but shoe trees make no difference. A bit of shoe cream helps with mine -- have you tried that? Does it have any effect?

Curiously, it sounds like there's an elasticity differential within the leather -- somehow the top layer is drawn less tightly than the rest. But that makes no sense. Good luck finding an answer.

6. demeis

demeis Senior member

do you mean rippling? Like there is a small layer the is creating wrinkles on a top layer of leather and when the tree is inserted it stretches it out? Can you post pics?

7. alchimiste

alchimiste Senior member

Yes.

Maybe.