Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Soft cotton button down shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by longcorn2, Jul 4, 2012.

1. longcorn2

longcorn2 New Member

Actually, this question pertains to dress shirts with or without a button-down collar....I am looking for a place to buy shirts with measured neck and sleeve dimensions (i.e. not M, L, XL but 17x35 etc.) that have a very soft cotton feel. I owned a shirt like this once, and it's hard to describe, but it was just less rough than a shirt you might get from Brooks Brothers, sort of smooth and just soft. I don't mean a thicker, winter shirt, but something with a thinner summery feel. I know there has to be a name for this type of cotton, but I am in the dark.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Thanks-LC

2. dufferin1

dufferin1 Senior member

3. Svenn

Svenn Senior member

The textile science that determines the softness of a cotton fabric is actually quite complex and something I've never understood... it would be great if someone here knew it. What I do know is that you might want to look for a cotton knit rather than a weave... most dress shirting is woven, like wool, which gives it the sharp, smooth, yet rough feel. A knit is like a tshirt. I'm having a shirtmaker make me a knit dress shirt at the moment in an ultrathin knit.

4. StormRider

StormRider Senior member

I was at a BB store yesterday, and saw they had a couple of really soft sports shirts, I think the label said 1818.

5. TexasDan

TexasDan Senior member

I suspect you may be referring to broadcloth, which BB does carry. You may want to try a few stores which carry shirts to find the fabric. Once you have identified the fabric, you can then investigate makers.

6. Tropicalist

Tropicalist Senior member

Sea island cotton is definitely soft but $$$
    Poplin and chambray can be soft if fine enough cotton is used
    Mercenarised cotton and jersey weave are quite soft