• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soft chunky shawl collar cardigans under $100?

sadkfjaskfaj

Reaction score
Anyone have recommendations for soft chunky shawl collar cardigans with a big collar under $100? Not sure if this is possible, seems like most that are under $100 have polyester/acrylic in them and are super scratchy...exception is an American Eagle one I picked up like 8 years ago that is acrylic/cotton and for some reason is super soft...

Surprised Uniqlo hasn't released one before.

If I don't find anything under $100 I'll probably just buy the Kent Wang one (~$200) it looks fantastic.

I also saw in the Spier & MacKay thread that they're thinking of releasing one...? Can anyone confirm?

Thanks.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably not happening.

IIRC the S&M Shawl Cardigans are releasing mid October, and will be in a similiar price range to the Kent Wang ones.

sadkfjaskfaj

Reaction score
Yeah as I suspected from my research this price would be difficult...not even if cotton instead of wool? Warmth is a secondary concern I just really like the feeling of a thick soft cardigan

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cheaper cardigans typically have a thinner collar and IMO don't look that appealing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of Wallace & Barnes, but this cardigan is what I mean by a thinner lapel

Screen Shot 2020-09-17 at 11.50.19 PM.png

Compare that to these:

cde2832539fc83220a4ad1c309b01582.jpg

6.png

I think there's somethign really beautiful about a thicker lapel. But they usually come on more expensive models. Something to think about when you're shopping for one.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess the key is a double-layered collar. S&M will have this. Sample picture, the leather buttons will be traded for horn:

1600413029488.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That does look nice. If the OP is on a budget, I would hold out for that, assuming the person above is right and it's priced similar to Kent Wang. I also think Kent Wang cardigans look nice. Those are about $200 and I think you get more value than a $100 cardigan that you might not like a year later.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That does look nice. If the OP is on a budget, I would hold out for that, assuming the person above is right and it's priced similar to Kent Wang. I also think Kent Wang cardigans look nice. Those are about $200 and I think you get more value than a $100 cardigan that you might not like a year later.

I'm always right. :bigstar:

jaspergunner

Reaction score
I guess the key is a double-layered collar. S&M will have this. Sample picture, the leather buttons will be traded for horn:

View attachment 1460739

Where did you get this photo? Can you provide a link? Looks like something I've been after for a long time. I'm a smaller frame (34 inch suit jackets) so finding something like this has been super challenging.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where did you get this photo? Can you provide a link? Looks like something I've been after for a long time. I'm a smaller frame (34 inch suit jackets) so finding something like this has been super challenging.

It’s from the spier and Mackay thread. Just follow their IG and check their website. The cardigans are supposed to drop sometime during september.

mhip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took a flier on the J-Crew sale last month.
Shawl collar cable cardigan, and after all the codes it was $29. Pic was nice, but I wasn't expecting much at all.
When it came, holy smokes. REALLY thick and soft and heavy, big collar and wood buttons.
I feel almost guilty...

An Acute Style

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
87CBA72C-4B8F-4F07-8EC1-2FA8FDBC5615.jpeg

Picked this up from J. Peterman a few years ago. Cost me about $90 on sale. Maybe $150 full price IIRC. It’s lambswool so not the softest, but thick and warm for sure. I haven't seen it for sale by them in a few years however.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads