Soft briefcase recommendations/alternatives

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by beebleb, Nov 28, 2011.

1. beebleb

beebleb Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to change over to a soft briefcase as my work briefcase. Something small, which I can sling over trolley luggage when necessary.

I think this piece from LV is the closest in terms of form (even though it doesn't have a shoulder strap, which would be nice but not essential):

[​IMG]

Would prefer not to pay the LV tax if I don't have to and of course would prefer this in a nice dark vegetable tanned brown leather.

Any options? So far I'm looking at:

Thomas Lyte - Albemarle Cognac Breuninger Business Briefcase
    http://www.thomaslyte.com/product/albemarle-business-cognac-breuninger-briefcase/#
    [​IMG]

Thanks guys, and if I missed the mammoth "Look at all these soft briefcase options!" mega-thread in search, I apologise in advance.

2. Slippybee

Slippybee Senior member

3. denning

denning Senior member

4. fielight

fielight Member

i'm a big fan of the Porte Documents range by LV (i own the GM in Damier Graphite myself); Epi is very elegant, although this particular briefcase is slim (it's not available in GM in this leather). the benefits of going with the GM models are the larger size (w/ padded compartment for laptops), shoulder strap, and also slot for the luggage satellite; cons are it's really only available in the canvases (not everyone's taste) except for Naxos and Nomade, which are even more expensive than the Epi. personally, i think the LV's, particularly their Taiga/Epi leather lines, are great choices -- they're exorbitantly priced, but the quality is also very high; and their leather finishes are unique to the label (i've never seen anything else similar to the Epi).

frankly, this is a fairly classic design for soft briefcases, and almost all the labels have their own versions. the Prada in Saffiano is very nice, and also a textured leather. there is a YSL on Mr Porter on sale now for about $1400. even Coach has one for about $500. it really comes down to which brand/leather finish you like better. good luck w your search.

5. _yoo

_yoo Senior member

i'm in a market for a briefcase too and have been considering this bag from a forum affiliate

[​IMG]

leather looks pretty nice and seems reasonably priced, i'd check it out if in/near NY

I'm (pretty) intent on getting that Delveux newspaper however, or failing that, a similar-style jil sander briefcase (not sure if they have it for ss12 though)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

6. denning

denning Senior member

Virtually identical to the Delvaux newspaper bag, without the "1829" embossing, and a heck of a lot cheaper is the Ro bag from The Armoury. Here: http://www.thearmourystore.com/bags/ro-bags-medium-briefcase

It comes in black and cognac and in different sizes. The cognac version is right at the top of my wishlist.

7. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

Hi there,

I was just on Google looking up soft briefcase and this came up.

I know we are 4 years late to the party but in case you are still looking for a soft briefcase in full grain vegetable-tanned leather we got them in 4 different colors.

We use the same tanneries and factories as the luxury brands. But by staying online we can pass on the cost savings to you. All of our briefcases are below <$500 :)

You can also jump to our affiliate thread here in case you have any questions.

[​IMG]
    Our soft briefcase in cognac - made out of full grain vegetable tanned leather

[​IMG]
    Our soft briefcase in navy - made out of full grain vegetable tanned leather

Cheers,

Roman
    Co-founder @ Linjer

8. joelmax

joelmax Well-Known Member

Where do you make your bags?

9. Linjer

Linjer Affiliate Vendor

Copy pasting in the answer from our official thread here on SF.

Thanks for asking. We're happy to tell you more about the production side of Linjer:

Our bags are manufactured in an American-owned/American-run factory in China.

We spent a lot of time searching for potential manufacturing partners in both Europe and Asia. It has been a long and difficult process, as our criteria for a partner were quite stringent:
    • Exceptionally high standard of workmanship
    • Social standards that we could stand by
    • Ease of working together

We’re very happy with the manufacturer that we chose to work with. We have visited the factory personally and have met employees working in several different functions and on the factory floor. We highly respect the factory's workmanship standards and attention to detail; in fact, they produce for some of the world's most highly-esteemed luxury brands. The factory is very well-run and we are proud (and lucky!) to be partnering with them :)