• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Soft boiled eggs

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
can you get it perfectly soft-boiled every time?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This thread forced me to make eggs, and I'm not even hungry. Damnit!!!!
angry.gif

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most eggs that say free-range, really aren't. Most of the time the chickens never go outside. There will be an opening for the chickens to exist their "shelter" but it is on the opposite side of where the feed and water are. It is a joke.

This is from Mother Earth News...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Relis...D-Content.aspx

In the past, we've found that eggs from hens raised on pasture, as compared to those commercially raised factory farm eggs, contain:

"¢ 1⁄3 less cholesterol
"¢ 1⁄4 less saturated fat
"¢ 2⁄3 more vitamin A
"¢ 2 times more omega-3 ***** acids
"¢ 3 times more vitamin E
"¢ 7 times more beta carotene

Our latest tests show that pastured eggs have anywhere between 4 to 6 times as much vitamin D as typical supermarket eggs.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
We got eleven hens in the backyard, so I usually have two soft-boiled eggs a day.

STOP BRAGGING

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
We got eleven hens in the backyard, so I usually have two soft-boiled eggs a day.

I'm seriously considering raising some in a piece of underused property we have. Is raising chickens difficult?

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acidicboy
I'm seriously considering raising some in a piece of underused property we have. Is raising chickens difficult?

It depends what your climate is like. If you are warm all year, than it isn't too bad, but if it gets cold the first 6-8 weeks can be a pain because the baby chicks can't get very cold. Than again, I was taking care of like 24 baby chicks (we had some roosters who we killed and then a cat got some other ones).

You got to worry about cats unless you want to keep a rooster or two (they will defend the hens). Most dogs will kill chickens for the heck of it. Again, depending on the size of the dog a really mean rooster could do some damage to the dog.

If they have eaten all the green grass in their fenced in area they will find a way to get out and get to some green grass unless you have a very well put together area.

I really like chickens. They are nice to have around and very relaxing just to watch go about their business. Most are pretty friendly too.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Fried eggs in bacon grease, yum.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
It depends what your climate is like. If you are warm all year, than it isn't too bad, but if it gets cold the first 6-8 weeks can be a pain because the baby chicks can't get very cold. Than again, I was taking care of like 24 baby chicks (we had some roosters who we killed and then a cat got some other ones).

You got to worry about cats unless you want to keep a rooster or two (they will defend the hens). Most dogs will kill chickens for the heck of it. Again, depending on the size of the dog a really mean rooster could do some damage to the dog.

If they have eaten all the green grass in their fenced in area they will find a way to get out and get to some green grass unless you have a very well put together area.

I really like chickens. They are nice to have around and very relaxing just to watch go about their business. Most are pretty friendly too.

Thanks! Yeah, climate here is warm all year, and its not unusual for people here to raise their own chickens. I'm thinking of keeping them in a coop instead of going free range. I'm just in it for the eggs.

michaeljkrell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just try to get them greens. That is what makes the yokes bright yellow. That was the thing that surprised me the most is just how yellow the yokes are.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to keep some ducks so I can have balut.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
I want to keep some ducks so I can have balut.
I'm now always going to associate balut with kwilk and gosurface.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
I'm now always going to associate balut with kwilk and gosurface.

The bastard result of those two mating?

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
The bastard result of those two mating?

Originally Posted by kwilkinson
GoSurface makes me cook those for him every "morning after." I've come to take a liking to them, although it may just be symbolic of liking what went down beforehand.

;_;

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads