• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks

Cpal

Reaction score
Which socks do people prefer? I know there was a thread on AskAndy but it seems to be unavailable. Paul Stuart stock was mentioned, but I don't recall people's preferences. Also, cotton, merino, blends, cashmere, etc. - what do people prefer and to ask a stupid question - how do you care for (aka wash) the merino/cashmere variety? My experiences have been mixed as I have had some of each (from a variety of brands) that seem to lose their elasticity, etc. after a couple washings.

Just interested in people's thoughts. Thanks.

vero_group

Reaction score
Ditto here. I bough 9 pair from Sierra and I'm loving them too. They seem to have plenty of inventory of these Pantherellas...

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I vote for Pantherella--100% cotton. They last for a long time; the elasticity holds up. No drooping socks. I've worn them for years. They are expensive, but if you shop around, you can find some great bargains.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know what really seperates the socks into favorites for me? what happens when i wash them (cold water, hang to dry).

Brioni-- look great new, decent after washing.

wool/ primarily wool socks-- poor after washing, always shrink and misshapen after washing

Ben Silver-- slight shrinkage, but decent after washing (especially if mostly cotton)

Zegna-- probably the better of the mostly-wool socks, but still a little misshapen

Pantharella and Paul Stuart-- best after washing. Possibly due to high cotton content, but most always dry very well. sometimes Paul Stuart toes are made of thinner material, and may be prone to holes faster.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with Punto socks?

Does anyone have any idea who makes the Allen Edmonds socks? They have some on Sierra listed as made in England--could they be Pantherellas?

SJX

Reaction score
Where are Pantherella 100% cotton socks available? Those on Sierra Trading Post are a cotton/nylon mix. Thanks.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
pantharella are good (marshall's had a tonne of them on sale recently for $3.99 in detroit area)

falke socks i find hold up very well as well

for performance related wool socks, wigwam i find are very good, sometimes ugly colours but their merino wool socks hold up well and keep your feet warm

shrink1061

Reaction score
Day to Day I wear Viccel - they are good looking, well made, sturdy and very reasonably price. They are however a bit unexciting.

When not at work, I tend to wear Bresciani, Mazarin or Gammarelli. Bresciani being my favourite, as they have the nicest selection of patterns and colours, and they fit my feet / legs superbly.

I always buy OTC socks, they stay put all day long and are significantly more comfortable.

Basically if you want a good value OTC sock in nice colours, go Viccel. if you want something a tad more elegant with some great pattern choices, Bresciani all the way.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads