• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks with seersucker

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On Fridays, our office dress code relaxes a bit, so if it's going to be a hot one, I'll wear a variation of the following which I am wearing today: blue (but a greyish blue) striped seersucker 3-button suit, a white broadcloth buttondown (no tie), and british tan slip-ons. My quandry comes when I have to put socks with it (which I'm afraid I have to do for the office).

I was pairing it with off-white socks, but frankly I just feel odd wearing white socks. Today I've put on solid blue socks that come close to matching the blue stripe in the suit. What do you guys think, what would or do you do?

artdeco73

Reaction score
Maybe I'm splitting hairs here, but to me there is a difference between white and off-white. While wearing truly white socks anywhere other than the gym is a no-no for me, light tan or off-white socks are fine if they match the pants. Of course, I don't wear seersucker suits, but I do regularly wear the standard off-white ("stone," "light beige" or whatever else they're called) chinos, and I pair them with off-white, light-tan or light-gray socks.

-- Tony

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TCN, sounds like a great, classic get-up. I'd think blue socks would be your best bet. Ideally, a lighter shade of dark blue (not dark navy, not royal blue -- in between) would be best IMO. I suppose a pair of light yellow socks or tan socks would work too, though yellow is probably not really work appropriate.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The first socks were off-white, but the color was close enough to pure white to give me second thoughts.

Kabert, thanks for the reassurance on the blue socks, although I probably need to find a slightly more subtle shade than what I'm presently sporting.

Incidentally, I used to wear white bucks with seersucker, but found that those drew too many comments and stares (up here in Michigan anyways). An inability to find white bucks that I liked resulted in me following advice garnered here, and picking up a pair of Alden tan handsewn laofers, and I'm very glad I did. In a 12C they are supremely comfortable and I love the way they look.

quill

Reaction score
So...will you call your final apparel choice...socksuckers ? (Flippant Friday remark #317-C12)
biggrin.gif

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TCN, I've always been a fan of white bucks too. Unfortunately, they are hard to wear. I wouldn't dare wear mine to the office (too "country club"), but I do manage to wear them once in a while with light colored slacks on summertime weekend occasions (usually dining all fresco with my wife at a local restaurant).

The Dandy

Reaction score
I would suggest blue or grey socks. In my opinion, light colored socks with seersucker pants is an atrocity, but I am a fairly firm proponent of darker hosiery. I usually like to pair seersucker with white bucks though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads