Socks - What to buy ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Englandmj7, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

I have read that 100% cotton, or predominantly cotton socks are the best type of socks to wear with leather shoes, but have also heard that synthetic fabrics are better because they are more breathable. I find when I wear my synthetic socks, my feet are much more sweaty and my shoes smell worse. Is one better than the other?

Also, which brands make a nice quality, heavier black dress sock? Or a good sock in general?

2. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

3. Beckwith

Beckwith Senior member

Many members here, including myself like the Pantharella brand socks. These can be found at many department stores and also at STP.

4. Ed13

Ed13 Senior member

I like the pantharella in over the calf. I prefer wool to cotton. Sized wool socks have a higher wool content than general sizes (s,m,l,xl) and I prefer these. I don't find wool any warmer in summer and they always seem to stay up better than cotton.

I have a few pairs of Ichty's over the calf in cotton. For some reason they stay up OK but I don't know where they can be purchased.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

Wool socks are definitely superior to cotton. They cushion, insulate, and keep the feet dry a lot better. In my experience they last considerably longer, too.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Whoopee's right on with the wool recommendation.

Also, I'd recommend against paying retail for Pantherellas. They're nice socks, but I don't think they're worth $25. Also, the quality can be remarkably variable. They're frequently available on discount, too.

7. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Wear wool socks. I prefer over-the-calf, except in the summer. RLPL socks are the best I've tried, far better than pantherella, but more expensive as well.

8. hermes

hermes Senior member

9. Senai

Senai Member

don't mean to jack thread but i also have a similar question (more of an extension of the original question), i'm curious about Smartwool (the ones found at STP) how would those be as workout socks.[​IMG]

10. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

don't mean to jack thread but i also have a similar question (more of an extension of the original question), i'm curious about Smartwool (the ones found at STP) how would those be as workout socks.[​IMG]

I have some Smartwool and I think they are great. Also checkout Patagonia or Wright Sock for a similar feel (non-cotton) and differing weights. Stay away from expedition or hunting weights unless you want to melt.

Back on the thread - Also check out Calzificio de Pio socks which are on STP too if you like Pantherella.

11. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Many members here, including myself like the Pantharella brand socks. These can be found at many department stores and also at STP.

I might also put in a good word for Byford, which can, from time to time, be found at STP.

12. Englandmj7

Englandmj7 Senior member

Thank you gentlemen. I shall have to buy more wool socks.

13. Flame

Flame Senior member

Merino wool can always be found for cheap at various department stores. Definately recommended.

Although in my case, cotton always seem to stink the most for me.

14. pscolari

pscolari Senior member

Merino wool can always be found for cheap at various department stores. Definately recommended.

Although in my case, cotton always seem to stink the most for me.

Yes. And cotton never seems to stay soft after washing the way wool does.

15. blackgrass

blackgrass Senior member

I am a huge Smartwool fan and have been wearing them for 8 years or so. They are all I will wear anymore and they seem to last forever. I can no longer wear cotton socks after being spoiled by the Smartwools. You can sometimes find them at a great price at

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/SmartWool.html