Socks - what colours are essential?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by sartorialexecutive, Jun 20, 2009.

1. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I like Nagrani "fun" socks and wear colors that complement my clothes but do not match them. I think many have a very classic look (diamonds, vertical stripes, etc.). Argyles are great as well. Foo's color choices above are good ones. The Men's Clothing 101 lesson is that shoes should match your pants. Most of us are taking electives now (although I didn't say we were all passing said courses [​IMG] ).

2. onix

onix Senior member

Grey and navy blue. Work all the time except for black suit/black shoes combination.

3. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Navy. Charcoal. Tan.

QED

4. calvinloke

calvinloke Senior member

A businessman matches his socks to his pants. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood. So for me, anything goes but white socks.

5. furo

furo Senior member

I like them to complement something else I'm wearing. Since I almost always wear light blue shirts, navy blue socks almost always work. I only stay away from navy blue socks if something else I'm wearing has lots of navy blue in it, like a tie or jacket--even then, I'd rather go with navy blue than wear grey socks with grey trousers or . . . *shudder* . . . khaki socks with khaki trousers. I would absolutely never wear navy blue socks with a navy blue suit or navy blue trousers. If you must match the color of your socks and trousers together, at least make the socks a little darker to provide some contrast.

Some people here seem to like 'fun socks'. Don't listen to them, either. It's a trick.

Okay, I hear what you're sayin about the khaki trousers and socks... interestingly enough, my boss actually told me last week not to wear light tan socks and to stick to darker colors (yeah he's a special kind of boss I guess)

So my question is: since my pants are all cotton, and one of three colors (olive, khaki, british tan), what color socks should I be wearing?

I bought navy blue and dark brown socks today from Gold Toe, will these be acceptable to mix and match as I please with the pants I described?

thanks

6. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

A boss who specifies what socks should be worn in a workplace where cotton trousers are acceptable sounds like a real piece of work. Keep records in case you have to sue.

7. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

Bright red is all you need. Well all I need.

Nope.

Navy blue. Works 90% of the time.

Matt once posted that. It sounded good to me so I went out and bought 2 dozen pair of Navy socks ( guess I wanted to be like Matt ). Later he admitted that he was kidding and has many Navy socks but many, many other colors too. Luckily, so do I!

For the OP though. If you could only have 5 pairs of socks, Navy would be a good choice since they are very versatile and could go with almost anything. It would be boring though.

8. furo

furo Senior member

A boss who specifies what socks should be worn in a workplace where cotton trousers are acceptable sounds like a real piece of work. Keep records in case you have to sue.

Well in all fairness the company made a deliberate decision 5 years ago to change the dress code from business attire to business casual.

I like a nice suit, but I prefer wearing my cotton pants and nice button downs.

9. Mild Mannered

Mild Mannered Senior member

A businessman matches his socks to his pants. A gentleman matches his socks to his mood. So for me, anything goes but white socks.

Well said.

10. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I enjoy a good assortment of socks.

[​IMG]

I always buy two pairs of socks to compliment any pants I buy. I get them at the same time I pick up my pants in order to get a good color match. Rarely are they solid. I often like to match the pant color and then have a small pattern that picks up the color of my shoe (brown mostly).

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

It's almost impossible to exactly match the color of your socks to your pants so I usually look for a heather background.

11. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Navy blue , dark grey , black ,brown and tan ....
    90% of my socks are just plain solid...No dots ,stripes or patterns..
    I used to have a lot of Burberry's socks 10 years ago and I loved the pattern ...
    I just find solid socks easier to match with everything and I'm aware of the fact that's a bit lazy..

12. madaboutshirt

madaboutshirt Senior member

navy, black, grey, plain patterns, bright red (yeah I love red socks), green. IMO matching your socks to trousers is just so boring.

I don't like stripes or fun socks (e.g. cartoon characters)

13. laphroaig

laphroaig Senior member

It's almost impossible to exactly match the color of your socks to your pants so I usually look for a heather background.
    I don't like an exact match. Instead I try to go for the same hue but several shades lighter or darker. If there is a highlight pattern on the socks I try to match it to something worn on my upper body rather than the shoes.

14. blackbowtie

blackbowtie Senior member

[​IMG]

Those are very nice looking socks.

15. aeglus

aeglus Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you want to match socks to something, make it match or complement your shirt. Makes things more interesting for your eyes.