• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks That Don't Itch

shoeshopper

Reaction score
Do people have any over-the-calf sock recommendations? I am specifically looking for socks that DON'T ITCH and can be worn with wool suits and business casual.

I have some Marcoliani ribbed wool socks (80% virgin wool, 20% nylon), but I find them itchy. Shall I consider cotton socks? Or 100% wool socks? Both comfort and durability are important.

Last edited:

Alvinbmx

Reaction score
Do people have any over-the-calf sock recommendations? I am specifically looking for socks that DON'T ITCH and can be worn with wool suits and business casual.

I have some Marcoliani ribbed wool socks (80% virgin wool, 20% nylon), but I find them itchy. Shall I consider cotton socks? Or 100% wool socks? Both comfort and durability are important.

Have you tried cotton socks?

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
!00% wool or 100% cotton. Avoid synthetics or blends altogether.
Welcome to Styleforum shoeshopper.

Last edited:

Cant kill da Rooster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found my 100% wool Marcolianis wore out too quickly in the heel. It could be the brand but I think socks are the one exception to the 100% natural materials rule. I would buy 80/20. Then again, I don't find them more itchy.

shoeshopper

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. From what I read here it seems the itching depends on the person. I guess I have to try the 100% cotton or wool ones, or other brands.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I found my 100% wool Marcolianis wore out too quickly in the heel. It could be the brand but I think socks are the one exception to the 100% natural materials rule. I would buy 80/20. Then again, I don't find them more itchy.

I would think its definitely the brand. I have 6€ pairs of all merino socks that wore out after 6 months, and I have 18€ pairs of all merino socks from a better brand that are still going strong after 5 years.

max b

Reaction score
Marcoliani it is a good option.
The problem you are talking about is really depending from people to people. 100% cotton could be a good solution, as this problem is sometime coming from syntetic fibers.
80% wool 20% poly could be another option, if the poly is completely covered by wool.
but if the wool socks itch you just because they are "hairy", the solution could be a mercerized wool (the mercerization "burn" all the "hair" from the wool, giving it a dry hand).

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've never had socks that itch! Always wondered if wool socks do, but I've been told otherwise.

(Also, I'm under the impression that 80% wool 20% nylon is the way to go as opposed to 100% wool.)

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Avoid nylon, polyester, rayon,...
I would also not wear wool socks in spring/summer

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thin short merino socks in summer are great. They wick the moisture away from your feet and keep them cool and dry in the process.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads