• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks on par with Marcoliani - that don't slip down?

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
I finally tried some "good" merino socks, and don't think I'd ever go back to cotton or cotton/poly. The socks are by Marcoliani, Extrafine Merino Ribbed Dress socks, One Size (US 8-11). These ones are 80% Virgin Wool, 20% Polyamide.

I'm usually a shoe size 8.5 to 9, depending on the shoe, so these socks should fit me - and they do, on my feet - but they don't have enough grip on my leg/calf. Any movement (fast walking, cycling, just moving around, really), and it's not long before they start to come loose around my leg and slip down/bunch up - which drives me batty.

I already tried tumble drying them to shrink them a bit tighter, but to no avail. Right now, the only way they stay put to my liking is to wear 2 pairs at once. (I guess that means they need to be snugger and/or thicker.)

Granted, I don't have huge calf muslces and I have somewhat narrow ankles - but I don't think I have "chicken legs".

I'd love to hear your suggestions. Can you recommend socks on par with the materials/quality/comfort/finishing (like hand linked toes)/color selection of Marcoliani that might stay put better?

Should I simply look at the Marcoliani over-the-calf line, or would you suggest other mid-calf or over-the-calf socks from different manufacturers?

Cheers!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Over-the-calf socks by any manufacturer will stay high on your legs. I really like Marcoliani, but you may also want to look at Bresciani.

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Given that, then I guess I'll look for over-the-calf by any manufacturer suggested in this thread. I guess then, that I'd love to hear suggestions for brands based on quality, finish, material, etc.

Thanks for pointing out Bresciani! I'm going to take a look at them now.

Over-the-calf socks by any manufacturer will stay high on your legs. I really like Marcoliani, but you may also want to look at Bresciani.

antikantian

Reaction score
I have some VK Nagrani over-the-calf socks that I really like. Mine are cotton blends, but they might make some wools. The one thing I don't like about over-the-calf socks are that some of my pants get snagged on occasion with OTC's - anyone have any recs on how to fix manage that issue?

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pantherella and Robert Talbott (discountinued, need to goggle to find)

jsqfunk

Reaction score
I have found Alex K at custom shirt 1 to be very responsive, going so far as to call me at home to review an order.
I am sure if you describe what you are looking for he could help.

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Yup, I actually chatted with him earlier today - very helpful gentleman!

Oh, that video above? Sums up nicely how I feel about socks that slip down all the time.

I have found Alex K at custom shirt 1 to be very responsive, going so far as to call me at home to review an order.
I am sure if you describe what you are looking for he could help.

jsqfunk

Reaction score
i buy the Marcoliani 80/20 ExtraFine Merinos from Alex, if you are going to pay retail for expensive socks they work well

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
Just wanted to drop in again and say that I ended up trying a pair of over-the-calf 80/20 Marcoliani socks in a lovely black with subtle grey dots. They stay up on my legs without any issue I've noted so far; the only thing is that, I guess, because I'm not overly tall (5' 9.5") and my shoe size is only about a 9, the socks are a bit on the long side - stretched out, they go over my knees. They work with the top cuffed down a couple-few inches - but I might give them a quick low heat drying to shrink them just a bit. Otherwise, I'm very happy with them.

Liquidus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since we're on the subject, does anyone know a brand of socks that meets the following criteria?

-Has OTC in a size small (or one-size, if it has enough grip to stay up)
-Cotton
-Dark argyle patterns (bonus)

Last edited:

oneninetyseven

Reaction score
oneninentyseven: go for Bresciani and Pantherella. Both are fine choices, but Bresciani is a bit more expensive along with a never-ending supply of patterns and materials. For leisure socks no maker bests Scott-Nichol.
Hi V, I'll take another look at them. I went with Marcoliani because I thought I read they're a bit thicker than the others, especially Bresciani - but I can check out the others again.

The biggest problem I'm having with these socks (over the calf Marcolianis) is that they're still too long; they're not just over the calf for me, they're over the knee and need to be a good couple of inches shorter. Anyone have ideas of how I can shrink them a bit more (without wrecking them)?

Already tried soaking in hot water for 10 minutes and running through the dryer but they hardly seemed to shrink (maybe because they're only 80 percent wool, 20 polyamide)? Thoughts would be appreciated, aside from having to cuff the tops they're lovely...

Cheers

recondite

Reaction score
Simple; fold the top over as if you were going to fold it over flashes such as those one might wear with a kilt or shorts and OTC socks. Under your trousers, no one except a paramour will know.
Hi V, I'll take another look at them. I went with Marcoliani because I thought I read they're a bit thicker than the others, especially Bresciani - but I can check out the others again.

The biggest problem I'm having with these socks (over the calf Marcolianis) is that they're still too long; they're not just over the calf for me, they're over the knee and need to be a good couple of inches shorter. Anyone have ideas of how I can shrink them a bit more (without wrecking them)?

Already tried soaking in hot water for 10 minutes and running through the dryer but they hardly seemed to shrink (maybe because they're only 80 percent wool, 20 polyamide)? Thoughts would be appreciated, aside from having to cuff the tops they're lovely...

Cheers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads