• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks: mid-calf or over-the-calf?

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Which do you prefer?
More and more I like mid calf. Besides the fact that I have a hyper developed calf I am getting tired of the stocking like feeling. I like a mid calf model that hugs the lower part of the calf rather than the ones that trend closer to the ankle. I should add that some makes, like pantherella, do a good job with a natural feel with an over the calf sock but i am losing my humor with other makes. It's quite hard to find good otc socks too.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Definitely over-the-calf

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Besides the fact that I have ahyper developed calf

rolleyes.gif

I prefer over the calf for my underdeveloped, girly-man legs.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the calf only. I've been using my mid-calf/ankle length for summer time only.

Nothing quite distracting and unpleasant as the constant need to pull up socks.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
Over the calf only. I've been using my mid-calf/ankle length for summer time only. Nothing quite distracting and unpleasant as the constant need to pull up socks.
Except for elastic cutting off your circulation. It's brand dependent. I wear both styles and depending on how they're designed they can either feel great or drive you crazy.

c3cubed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
Except for elastic cutting off your circulation.

It's brand dependent. I wear both styles and depending on how they're designed they can either feel great or drive you crazy.

All over the calf and virtually all Pantherella cotton lisle, cashmere or silk.
Never constrictive, you don't even know you've got them on.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by c3cubed
All over the calf and virtually all Pantherella cotton lisle, cashmere or silk. Never constrictive, you don't even know you've got them on.
i agree with you there, Pantherella make very good otc socks but I didnt want to assume everyone bought them. Although, panterellas mid calf are rather well designed too. I would try the marcoliani socks too if I could figure out a source i would be willing to buy them from in the patterns/colors i wanted.

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Falke over the calf socks in any make.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Over-the-calf for me. Mid-calf never stays up.

lithium180

Reaction score
Over the Calf only here.

Doc4

Reaction score
OTC of course!

lordofpi

Reaction score
OTC is the only way. I only wish sock makers knew that we felt this way. I am tired of being confined to solids -- and then only in black, navy, brown, and tan (and grey, if I can find it). There are so many interesting patterns that can break up the mundane, but I never see them because I hate mid-calf and below socks. By the way, Burlington socks have served me well for a while now. Good topic -- I'd love to see this turned into a poll.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads