Socks: mid-calf or over-the-calf? with poll this time

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by chorse123, Jul 21, 2008.

1. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Lifestyle change - no homo

Ideally OTC. It's what I wear most. But riddle me this Batman, why do they only make interesting/colorful socks in short sizes? 95% of the OTC socks are BORRRR-ING!

2. The Gimp

The Gimp Active Member

Over the calf or stuffed in her mouth if she's feeling kinky. [​IMG]

3. 82-Greg

82-Greg Senior member

I've yet to find mid-calf socks that don't slip. OTC.

+1 (right leg)
    +1 (left leg)

4. element02

element02 Senior member

I like OTC.

But riddle me this Batman, why do they only make interesting/colorful socks in short sizes? 95% of the OTC socks are BORRRR-ING!

Good question.

5. Film Noir Buff

Film Noir Buff Senior member

Ideally OTC. It's what I wear most. But riddle me this Batman, why do they only make interesting/colorful socks in short sizes? 95% of the OTC socks are BORRRR-ING!
    Because most suit wearing men both here (USA) and England wont wear over the calf socks. Plus, theyre more expensive to make.

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I'll see what I can do.

[​IMG]

7. Kaizen

Kaizen Senior member

I'll see what I can do.[​IMG]

Please do! I've been trying to convince my local Saks to carry OTC Marcoliani, but they only have the mid-calf. I currently have to order mine from some shirtmaker in New York. [​IMG]

8. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Jumped on OTCs soon after joining SF, but I started to learn that with slimmer-fitting pants -- particularly flannels -- they snag on the pant leg when you stand up. That gets annoying. It's been mid-calf ever since.
    I have the same problem w/ OTC!

9. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I actually like both, but wanted to see which people would pick if they had to choose.

10. Agnacious

Agnacious Senior member

I find the feeling of OTC socks as uncomfortable as mid calf socks that have slipped.

Since it has been pointed out to me that I fix my mid calfs more than I realize, I think about the context and whether adjusting my socks would be bad form. If so, I wear the OTC because I don't want to worry about falling socks.

Given my druthers, it would be mid calf.

11. 82-Greg

82-Greg Senior member

Please do! I've been trying to convince my local Saks to carry OTC Marcoliani, but they only have the mid-calf. I currently have to order mine from some shirtmaker in New York. [​IMG]

+1

12. A Canuker

A Canuker Senior member

I use to do mid as it was very hard to find good ones here but I would get OTC well before if given the choice.

13. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

Wore mid-calf most of my life, and most of my socks are still mid-calf, but of late I have come to strongly favor OTC. I actually like the feel of it better, and there are no worries about showing skin.

14. JammieDodger

JammieDodger Senior member

I'm not sure if I understand the problem. I can't remember a single time where I've had to adjust my socks and I've never given thought to how high they sit. Maybe once when they were too small, but that's it. Sorry to be a bore, guess this is the first time I've become aware that there could be a problem.

15. Doctor Quack

Doctor Quack Senior member

I prefer over-the-calf mostly because I hate falling socks. I could wear those stylish sock suspenders but it just seems like too much work for no good reason. Plus, OTC socks provide that extra warmth in the over-the-calf region.