• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Socks in specific sizes

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most socks i see are marked either "one size fits all" or "fits shoe size 6 1/2 to 12." i wear a size 8 1/2 shoe and find that some of my socks fit well, while most of them are too big (the heel comes up to my ankle). the problem is, i don't recall what brand it is that fits me well, as they all look and feel pretty much the same. i know thomas pink offers small, medium, large, etc... does anyone know who else does this? i found socks at nordstrom selling for $25 that were marked one size fits all, which seems unacceptable at that price.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
Turnbull and Asser offers them in specific shoe sizes in the store in New York. You may want to see if the new one in Beverly Hills does as well.

Pink22m

Reaction score
The $25 socks you saw at Nordstroms were most likely the Pantherella ones, as those are the only brand I know of that Nordstroms carries that cost that price and are sized that way.

You want to find socks that are size specific? Go back to Nordstroms and look again. Stay away from the Calvin Klein, Polo and Pantherellas; instead focus on Nordstroms own brand of socks. Their Nordstrom and John W. Nordstrom socks are sized as follows: 5 1/2 - 7 1/2, 8-10, 10 1/2 - 12 1/2, 13-15. They come in pima cotton, egyptian cotton (JWN Signature) and merino wool. The pima cotton and merino wool socks are ribbed, and the egyptian cotton ones aren't. Also, they are available in midcalf as well as over the calf. Colors include black, navy, brown, olive, taupe, taupe heather, charcoal, and charcoal heather.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i think falke socks are size specific or at least broken down to two sizes (10-12)

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
most socks i see are marked either "one size fits all" or "fits shoe size 6 1/2 to 12." i wear a size 8 1/2 shoe and find that some of my socks fit well, while most of them are too big (the heel comes up to my ankle). the problem is, i don't recall what brand it is that fits me well, as they all look and feel pretty much the same. i know thomas pink offers small, medium, large, etc... does anyone know who else does this? i found socks at nordstrom selling for $25 that were marked one size fits all, which seems unacceptable at that price.
Pantharella, Zegna, Bresciani (sp?), and Paul Stuart all offer socks in S, M, L sizes. Ben Silver offers socks in sizes between 11 and 13, including half sizes. In addition, I think that Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece socks came in numbered sizes, but I don't know if that's still the case. Keep in mind that sock sizes are 1.5 sizes larger than American shoe sizes.

DC_Brit

Reaction score
Pantherella used to have more merit, but got bought by Universal Stores and the quality went away faster than you can say "sock". Last time I popped by Savile Row a number of the tailors had rebranded some from Paris, made by Bourgeois (not completelty sure I remember that - might have been Bourjois). These are exactly sized, including half sizes. Both cotton (thinnest I've seen in a while), and also a superb wool. I ended up with 3 grey, 2 black and 2 burgundy. Life improved on a daily basis
smile.gif
Oh and I second the good news on Nordstrom. Very decent socks.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
thank you everyone for the information. i did not look at the nordstrom brand socks, and the salesgirl told me they didn't carry specific sizes, so i gave up too soon. i'll check again this weekend. i'm curious to see the t&a socks, but i'd really prefer not to spend too much. i suspect they'll be at least $25, and i'm saving my pennies for a new suit.
wink.gif

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Pantherella used to have more merit, but got bought by Universal Stores and the quality went away faster than you can say "sock".
Pantherella has different lines, of course, but the cotton lisle socks that I buy from them are the best I know of, and I've tried a great number of brands. Regardless of who the owner of the brand is, Pantherella socks are certainly not lacking in quality.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads