Sock sizing

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mack11211, Jan 28, 2005.

1. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Dear Forumites:

Sometimes socks are still sold by size, but I can never remember mine. My US shoe size is 8.5. Meanwhile, I found some size 11 socks on ebay, but will they approximately fit? Who knows?

Is there a chart online somewhere?

2. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Socks that are sized numerically should match shoe sizes.  These are made by only a handful of companies anymore.  Socks that are sized S, M, L, XL, etc. generally cover a range of about two or three shoe sizes.  The letter size to shoe size range varies from maker to maker.  I wear a 12 shoe, and find that XL dress socks from most English, French and Italian makers fit shoe sizes 11 to 13.

3. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

Mack11211 - you want a 9.5 or 10 max.

4. mack11211

mack11211 Senior member

Hmmmm.

Can Mr. Dryer the Tailor significantly (and potentially usefully) shrink mercerized cotton socks?

5. Horace

Horace Senior member

What are the companies that still do numerical sizing?

Anyone know?

The obliteration of sizing has made its way to hats, I've found.

Still, I am heartened to see that Dobbs & Stetson and others carry on.

Re: chart. I've seen one somewhere, and I always thought that the sizing for the sock did not match the sizing for the shoe. Let me see if I can find an example of that in my wardrobe. I have a few drawers of never worn socks from days of old.

6. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

Maus & Hoffman carries a quality over-the-calf cotton lisle ribbed sock in exact sizes (add 1.5 to the shoe size). Made in Italy. About $23.00. They have a website or you can call for the catalog. The rest of the merchandise is extremely expensive and seems to be designed for the very elderly by the anti-Flusser (matching white shoes and belt-yes, a bit of an exaggeration).

7. Alexander Kabbaz

Alexander Kabbaz Senior member

By the "very elderly" I assume you do not mean those of us who are merely "older and wiser"? Otherwise I shall have to take offense and dub you "a wet behind the knees whippersnapper". [​IMG]

8. STYLESTUDENT

STYLESTUDENT Senior member

As I'm in my late 50's (but feel younger), my comment has more to do with "old man in Florida" style of dress (e,g. matching terry-cloth cabana set) than chronological age. Don't want to insult either of us (especially not me) [​IMG] Best Regards

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Truzzi out of Milan still does, I think.  In New York, sized socks are hard to come by.  Sulka was the last great source.  I like the socks at Paul Stuart and Barneys, but they are pretty much all S, M, L, etc.  So are Flusser's.  Sigh.

10. PITAronin

PITAronin Senior member

Think that Alex was supposed to be lining up some Zimmerli socks in individualized sizes to supplement his line of underwear. Alex?

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Originally Posted by Alexander Kabbaz,Jan. 28 2005,08:05
    By the "very elderly" I assume you do not mean those of us who are merely "older and wiser"? Otherwise I shall have to take offense and dub you "a wet behind the knees whippersnapper". [​IMG]
    As I'm in my late 50's (but feel younger), my comment has more to do with "old man in Florida" style of dress (e,g. matching terry-cloth cabana set) than chronological age. Don't want to insult either of us (especially not me) [​IMG] Best Regards
    All those M&H clothes match their white Cadillac's with tan canvas tops. Oy, Irving I think I see a parking space...(mean while it's a tree, because they all wear trifocals) [​IMG] Crying in Boca Raton, Jon.