• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock question

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have been reading references to preferring wool over cotton socks and noting the forum members' sock preferences.  However, I need help as follows:

I have always preferred over-the-calf socks that do not sag.  (Real annoying feeling.)  To that end, I have found that Gold-Toe socks with the elasticized nylon seems to work and provide a decent look and fit.  Are there over-the-calf wool blend socks that do not sag?  Am I better of staying with nylon?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

kabert

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Nordstrom's over-the-calf socks. They seem to retain their elasticity for years. I've also had good luck with Ralph Lauren socks

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've had great luck with Nordstrom's over-the-calf socks. They seem to retain their elasticity for years. I've also had good luck with Ralph Lauren socks
I have bought Brioni socks, Zegna socks, Saks's label socks, etc... but the best socks I have purchased are Ralph Lauren socks. They are really are the best socks I have ever bought.

Jon.

mistahlee

Reaction score
Does anyone else wear sock garters?

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ImageWis -

Are all those over-the-calf?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ImageWis - Are all those over-the-calf?
Yes they are; they have the pony logo at the top end of each sock. I also bought a few years ago at the Worth Ave and The Breakers locations in Palm Beach some knee high socks (which I use for those cooler days in Florida and when I want that school girl feeling
tounge.gif
Just Kidding), also from RL, they are just as good or perhaps better than their over the calf socks. Jon.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Perhaps I'm in the minority here, but I prefer cotton socks to wool ones. I've had good luck with the Pantherella cotton lisle over-the-calf model. I would hesitate to buy socks that are all or mostly synthetics, but a bit of nylon in wool or cotton socks is harmless.

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Over the calf is the way to go. Also important is the way the tops are done - too much elastic and they cut circulation. The stretch at the top can be done via the weaving method and spread out - gentler squeeze dispersed over a wider area so they don't sag or bind.

Material wise I am partial to a good filo scozia cotton (doesn't shrink/fade) with some synthetic mixed in at the heel and toe area where socks wear out. The way the toe is linked matters for comfort too.

For the 'fancy' ones - like Cashmere the type used is critical or they will pill after one wearing and fall apart after a few.

...have been researching this ad nauseum lately and lots of details on various sock materials and construction methds will follow, almost ready to get that project going.

dah328

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been reasonably pleased with some over-the-calf merino wool socks from sockbroker.com. They've worn reasonably well over six months since I hang-dry them after laundering. The wool is surprisingly comfortable even in warm weather.

dan

Qasimkhan

Reaction score
I've had good results with both Gold Toe and Murano dress socks. They hold up well and are moderately priced.

I only buy socks with mostly cotton or wool so that they will breath better. Wool for winter and cotton for summer.

theodoro

Reaction score
mistahlee-

Yes, I occasionally use sock garters, especially when wearing my tuxedo, those formal silk socks do not stay up well on their own.

Have you seen any sock garters that are made with leather?

Teo

mistahlee

Reaction score

No, but would like to find some.  The only pair I have came from Brooks Brothers.  They are elastic and leather, and are starting to wear out.

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I just wanted to post that my garters (which get used once in a blue moon) are made from leather and elastic; but at closer inspection that leather turn out to be leatherette.

How embarrassing. Things aren't what they used to be.

cristobal

Reaction score
Does anyone else wear sock garters?
Check out Paul Stuart. The store in Chicago sells them, at least they have in the past. They also sell decent over-the-calf silk hose, which are becoming something of a rare find these days. I started wearing silk socks a few years ago, now I can't wear anything else...

Dudufrias

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theodoro

Here's my story. I bought several pairs of sock garters (I always wear them with all cotton socks that are not over the calf; with spandex blend socks, i leave the garters in the sock drawer...by the way I'm not a big fan of silk socks, don't have any, so they're not an issue for me). These garters were relarively cheap, so I expected the yokes to be faux leather. so what i did was take then to the nearest cobbler (that's right, cobbler) and asked him to make me real leather yokes. It worked.

So if you can't find garters with real leather yokes and you abhor plastic in such a formal accessorie, this is a good solution, I suppose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads