1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sock Garters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Drinkwaters, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

Someone mentioned to me that there are garters that you attach to the bottom of your shirt tails and run them down to the top of your socks. Is this for real? Where do you buy these?

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have never seen these. I have, however, seen sock garters that go around the top of one's calf like a small belt.

3. dorian

dorian Senior member

Maybe you're thinking of special attachments for shirt tails to the interior of trousers...?

Your question reminded me of a story my father told me about a friend in university who had Borrelli make shirts (and trousers?) so that they could be attached, by buttons, as I recall, to the inside of his trousers. When I asked why in the hell he bothered, my father, in typical understatement, said he was suitably rotund that they were necessary..... and added that they worked very well.

I would think that this is a better option than running something all the way down to one's socks, no?

Maybe Borrelli can still do this.... anyone?

Or, if it's the socks you're concerned with, why not try the above suggested sock garters. Or longer, elasticized socks... ?

4. ernest

ernest Senior member

This is called a suspender belt...

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I imagine that any bespoke maker would do something like this at your request, but they might give you a funny look. Personally I could never do something like this. I think garters are for women; I would rather just have to retuck my shirt every once in awhile.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I think this is alluding to a thread I started over on the Andy Forum. I inquired about what are variously called "military" or "shirt" garters. They do indeed attach to the shirttail and extend down to the stocking. As I recall, I got one reply from a career man in the Air Force. As I recall, he said that one of the things he was looking forward to the most upon retirement next year was bidding farewell to these things. He said they were uncomfortable, cheaply made, sometimes broke (with spectacular results) and were a colossal nuisance when one had to sit on a toilet. This thoroughly scotched any interest I might have had in sampling a pair of these devices. I am not a Marine embassy guard, I don't have to stand for inspection, and so I don't think I need shirt garters.