• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Sock garters

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't mind sock garters, but am I the only one who finds over-the-calf socks vaguely creepy?

Seriously? Why? They're practical, they're comfortable (well, for me), and nobody can see them unless you wear them with shorts. Okay, that would be creepy.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Seriously? Why? They're practical, they're comfortable (well, for me), and nobody can see them unless you wear them with shorts. Okay, that would be creepy.

I'm not very keen on the idea of dress socks that go over the calf much like I find sheer dress socks really creepy as well.

dagenham

Reaction score
all the cool socks are usually mid-calf which do not stay up, thus the need for sock garters.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I'm not very keen on the idea of dress socks that go over the calf much like I find sheer dress socks really creepy as well.

I don't like sheer ones either. See Dennis Farina's character in Get Shorty.

oldog/oldtrix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sock garters associated with old men of a bygone era? I did wear them in a bygone era, but as a high school student rather than an old man. In the early 1960s in North Carolina, "Gold Cup" socks manufactured by Burlington Hosiery, in the NC town of the same name, were all the rage. They were crew socks with a plain foot and ribbed legs, came in every conceivable color, and were made of a synthetic called orlon which mimicked a soft wool/cashmere but did not shrink or fade. There was some kind of elastic in the leg, but it did not really keep the socks from sliding down. To achieve the smooth line desired for the rather considerable expanse of sock (usually in a color that matched one's Gant oxford cloth button down or its stripes) that was displayed between the top of one's Weejuns and the cuff of one's kahkis/chinos (cuffed just at the ankle), sock garters were necessary. They were favored in solid navy, burgundy, or hunter green and stripes of any two of those colors. Extra points if one's garters matched one's surcingle belt. Of course, both socks and garters were eschewed when the weather was warm.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Krawczak
We're talking about these:
23104038.jpg

which are quaint and old-timey.

You're talking about these:
Photo-ShirtGarters4.jpg

Which tend to be associated with the military. Most people outside of the armed forces have never heard of these things, but they do their job remarkably well.

They will both place one's getting laid in jeopardy, but for different reasons. It just depends on whether you want to not get laid because you look like a british grandpa or because you are wearing some unidentifiable elastic contrivance under your pants.

On the other hand, you don't have to really worry about it if you don't plan to be taking off your pants around someone.

WTF are those? Do they run from your shirttails down to your socks, keeping the one down and the other up?

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
WTF are those? Do they run from your shirttails down to your socks, keeping the one down and the other up?

Yes sir!

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Yes sir!

Sounds kinky. Reminds me of Crash wearing ladies' things in Bull Durham.

watchingdetails2002

Reaction score
I have a friend who was insistant on me trying them. So next thing I know a pair arrived in my mailbox. My thought was are you kidding. But I broke down and tried them and now I wear mine all the time. It did take some getting used to the around my leg.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My father always wore them and when I was about 17 or so he gave me my first pair which I still use and ever since then I have just always used them, and have gotten a few co-cworkers to try them as weel but with no permanentcy, oh well.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, Great Sage, I humbly beseech thee, why is this so?

houserichichi

Reaction score
I am about to buy a pair off Brooks Brothers. What sorts of details should one be looking for in a quality pair?

The Devil's Hands

Reaction score
You're talking about these:
Photo-ShirtGarters4.jpg

Which tend to be associated with the military. Most people outside of the armed forces have never heard of these things, but they do their job remarkably well.
I got those exact ones, in white! You ain't kidding. They feel quite strange at first, but boy do they ever work. I jumped over a railing today as I was walking at lunch, and my shirt stayed as tucked in as when I put it on!

I feel like someone could beat the crap out of me and I'd still look pretty sharp.

They will both place one's getting laid in jeopardy, but for different reasons. It just depends on whether you want to not get laid because you look like a british grandpa or because you are wearing some unidentifiable elastic contrivance under your pants.
Hopefully it's a done deal by the time I take off my pants

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads