1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Sock garters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bowtielover, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm not very keen on the idea of dress socks that go over the calf much like I find sheer dress socks really creepy as well.

Thank you so much for the mental picture of a sheer dress sock over a hairy calf.

2. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Sock garters associated with old men of a bygone era? I did wear them in a bygone era, but as a high school student rather than an old man. In the early 1960s in North Carolina, "Gold Cup" socks manufactured by Burlington Hosiery, in the NC town of the same name, were all the rage. They were crew socks with a plain foot and ribbed legs, came in every conceivable color, and were made of a synthetic called orlon which mimicked a soft wool/cashmere but did not shrink or fade. There was some kind of elastic in the leg, but it did not really keep the socks from sliding down. To achieve the smooth line desired for the rather considerable expanse of sock (usually in a color that matched one's Gant oxford cloth button down or its stripes) that was displayed between the top of one's Weejuns and the cuff of one's kahkis/chinos (cuffed just at the ankle), sock garters were necessary. They were favored in solid navy, burgundy, or hunter green and stripes of any two of those colors. Extra points if one's garters matched one's surcingle belt. Of course, both socks and garters were eschewed when the weather was warm.

3. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

We're talking about these:
    [​IMG]
    which are quaint and old-timey.

You're talking about these:
    [​IMG]
    Which tend to be associated with the military. Most people outside of the armed forces have never heard of these things, but they do their job remarkably well.

They will both place one's getting laid in jeopardy, but for different reasons. It just depends on whether you want to not get laid because you look like a british grandpa or because you are wearing some unidentifiable elastic contrivance under your pants.

On the other hand, you don't have to really worry about it if you don't plan to be taking off your pants around someone.

WTF are those? Do they run from your shirttails down to your socks, keeping the one down and the other up?

4. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

WTF are those? Do they run from your shirttails down to your socks, keeping the one down and the other up?

Yes sir!

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Yes sir!

Sounds kinky. Reminds me of Crash wearing ladies' things in Bull Durham.

6. watchingdetails2002

watchingdetails2002 Senior member

I have a friend who was insistant on me trying them. So next thing I know a pair arrived in my mailbox. My thought was are you kidding. But I broke down and tried them and now I wear mine all the time. It did take some getting used to the around my leg.

7. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

My father always wore them and when I was about 17 or so he gave me my first pair which I still use and ever since then I have just always used them, and have gotten a few co-cworkers to try them as weel but with no permanentcy, oh well.

8. Orsini

Orsini Senior member

Oh, Great Sage, I humbly beseech thee, why is this so?

9. houserichichi

houserichichi Senior member

I am about to buy a pair off Brooks Brothers. What sorts of details should one be looking for in a quality pair?

10. The Devil's Hands

The Devil's Hands Senior member

I got those exact ones, in white! You ain't kidding. They feel quite strange at first, but boy do they ever work. I jumped over a railing today as I was walking at lunch, and my shirt stayed as tucked in as when I put it on!

I feel like someone could beat the crap out of me and I'd still look pretty sharp.

Hopefully it's a done deal by the time I take off my pants

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

So do they run up and down the fronts and backs of your legs? What happens when you bend your knees (to sit down, for example)? Don't they pull against your pants in those situations?

12. Toiletduck

Toiletduck Senior member

The only garters should be on women.....

I actually have a pair of sock garters which came with my boyscout uniform.

13. j

j Senior member

Added an option.

P.s. when there is a Thom Browne wedding, does the "wife" throw a sock garter?

14. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Resurrecting an old thread...

I have tried so many forum-favourite sock brands; 90% of mid-calf socks do not stay up so I decided to try a pair of sock garters.

The question is which online retailer sells quality stuff?

15. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

Resurrecting an old thread...

I have tried so many forum-favourite sock brands; 90% of mid-calf socks do not stay up so I decided to try a pair of sock garters.

The question is which online retailer sells quality stuff?

Why not try over the calf socks?

16. Artigas

Artigas Senior member

So do they run up and down the fronts and backs of your legs? What happens when you bend your knees (to sit down, for example)? Don't they pull against your pants in those situations?

I was also wondering about this. Does anyone have an answer?

17. PocketCircle

PocketCircle Senior member

Why not try over the calf socks?

OTCs are good for winter but too hot to wear in summer and spring where I live.

18. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

19. larsrindsig

larsrindsig Senior member

20. Kentishman

Kentishman Senior member