Sock garters

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by bowtielover, Nov 8, 2007.

1. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

Who wears them or at least know what I am talking about, I am the only one who still usues them or are there others? I know you don't really see them anymore except for an occasional apperance in movies or on TV, of couser you would know if anyone still wears them or not sinc e thieir pants would be hiding them so i though I would come here to find out.

2. lee_44106

lee_44106 Senior member

They seemed kinda cool. I've contemplated getting a pair when I was buying my tuxedo ensemble, but with over the calf silk socks, they are not necessary. I saw them at Brooks Brothers.

3. Minkous

Minkous Senior member

I kinda think they are pointless now days, if you have that much trouble keeping your socks up.... buy over the calf socks. I personally have never had that much trouble keeping my socks up so i really dont see how others have so much trouble keeping theirs up too

4. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

They are great for marching around in parades.

5. The Devil's Hands

The Devil's Hands Senior member

If these are what I think they are, they're more for keeping your shirt tucked in than for keeping your socks up.

I ordered some a couple days ago.

6. hangten

hangten Senior member

Definitely! I purchased a pair from Paul Stuart. I have very muscular calves (read: HUGE) so socks that are not over the calf usually drop. As an aside, the majority of socks that I buy now are over the calf which hold very nicely.

7. Vintage Gent

Vintage Gent Senior member

Unless I wear over the calf socks (which is rare), I'm sporting a pair of vintage sock garters.

8. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

I keep a couple for when I wear a few pair of older silk hose that are not over the calf.

9. huysmans

huysmans Member

I have been entertaining the idea of getting some, not so much because I need them, but more so out of nostalgia, I think. Plus, over the calf socks are much to warm.

10. bowtielover

bowtielover Senior member

That is one of the reasons I choose them, I don't need them my socks fit fine I just like the look and feel of them, which I know is kind of silly since I am the only one that ever sees me wearing them besides my sons every now and then but they don't really count since were related.

11. huysmans

huysmans Member

If I can do something or wear something that recalls "good old days", I'll probably do it, unless I would look silly of course. This is why I collect tophats, but don't wear them!

12. Krawczak

Krawczak Well-Known Member

If these are what I think they are, they're more for keeping your shirt tucked in than for keeping your socks up.

I ordered some a couple days ago.

We're talking about these:
    [​IMG]
    which are quaint and old-timey.

You're talking about these:
    [​IMG]
    Which tend to be associated with the military. Most people outside of the armed forces have never heard of these things, but they do their job remarkably well.

They will both place one's getting laid in jeopardy, but for different reasons. It just depends on whether you want to not get laid because you look like a british grandpa or because you are wearing some unidentifiable elastic contrivance under your pants.

On the other hand, you don't have to really worry about it if you don't plan to be taking off your pants around someone.

13. Teacher

Teacher Senior member

I can't stand it when my socks fall down, and not everything I like is over the calf. I therefore have two sets: one in plain black, the other a vintage set I found still in its box of red and blue elastic and silk. They're simply beautiful.

14. Will

Will Senior member Dubiously Honored

Today's forum participants must all be politicians, tv newscasters and university professors. Not a single post so far declaring that sock suspenders would never be worn in the real world!

15. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

Today's forum participants must all be politicians, tv newscasters, university professors, or the curator of A Suitable Wardrobe! Not a single post so far declaring that sock suspenders would never be worn in the real world!

We don't state the obvious, Will. [​IMG]